Community
Other Areas Canada, Africa, etc.

Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Old 03-25-2010, 08:19 PM
Spike

New member here! We did go to the sportsmen show this year, both Lansdowne Park in Ottawa and Chasse et Peche in Gatineau. If you are looking for a Caribou outfitter, don't waste your time/money at Lansdowne Park, other than Capt Donut, there was not much to talk about. As for the other show in Gatineau March 5-8th, we spent hours talking to all kinds of outfitters (over 60 on-site, not all Caribou obviously), lots of great info especially for fly-in expeditions. Best part is that it was free and no line up, Ottawa was a mess for parking ($10) plus $26 to get in, for my wife and I. The most knowledgeable people we talked to at the Gatineau show were all from Kiski, the guy (owner I think) with the 3 foot ancestral beard seems to be very honest, and proud of his outfit. We really enjoyed talking to him so we booked with them, Nov 22-26 2010. This is going to be the longest summer ever...
Old 05-20-2010, 04:03 AM
Fork Horn

OK I know it's time for boats, harleys and other stuff but fall is only a few months away. I won't be making the winter hunt this year for the first time in ten years. I will however do a fly in the end of September. Now that I have more time being retired I also need to be more selective on my hunts and watch the dollars more closely. The fly in is more expensive than the winter hunt but it's also a whole different program. I can't afford both so I choose the fly in. If I do go back in the future to the winter hunt I will look into Kisk. Mirage is a different organization under the new owners. Not as customer friendly as they were before. Good luck to all you guys no matter what hund you go on.
Old 05-26-2010, 03:57 PM
Fork Horn

Hunch - too bad and I remember your issues last year and my team agrees - much different group - and I think Kisk maybe a good alternative to Mirage.

Hope you have a good fall hunt and let us know how you do - we have a few including me that would like to make this hunt.

Have a good summer and keep the rubber to the road.
Old 06-13-2010, 06:36 PM
Spike

Talking with a fishing outfitter in Ontario revealed that the studded tire law has been changed. It is no longer illegal to run studs while travelling through ontario if you are a nonresident or a northern ontario resident. These should be a help on the icy trans taiga road. I checked on the computer and found that he is correct and the law has been changed.
Old 06-17-2010, 03:17 PM
Typical Buck

That's fine for Ontario but isn't the road in Quebec?
Old 06-18-2010, 12:29 PM
Spike

You are correct about the road being in Quebec, it has always to my knowlege been legal to run studs there. however a lot of us must travel through Ontario to get to Quebec, and it was here that they used to not allow studded tires.
Old 08-11-2010, 03:10 AM
Fork Horn

Wake up you guys. It's August and hunting is not that far away. It's time to think about an inventory of your gear and checking it out.
Old 08-11-2010, 02:55 PM
Spike

looking at recent maps we will be able to hunt them here by november if they keep up moving like they are
Old 09-16-2010, 05:23 AM
Spike

Default New Ontario Regulation Affects Caribou Hunters

Attention all deer, moose, caribou hunters who travel through Ontario. Ontario has implemented new rules for bringing cervid body parts into the province, effective immediately.

Read carefully before travelling through or into Ontario:

http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/en/Business...02_168766.html

Last edited by bhunts1; 09-16-2010 at 05:29 AM.
Old 09-20-2010, 08:30 AM
Fork Horn

Good News -

Mirage Outfitters is being re-taken over by the old Management. Luke and family are now back and the guys from Safari Nordik are gone. They also plan to give back some of the cost increases imposed by World Outfitters and can begin on any new reservation 2010 and moving forward. They are talking about brining the quality back that has been missing the past couple of years.

Sounds like they have some openings and if you want to hunt set it up with them to help with the transfer as all the monies already collected will not help the new owners and all success is now moving forward.

Best news I have heard all year.

Quick Reply: Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.