Community
Other Areas Canada, Africa, etc.

Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Old 11-09-2009, 05:35 PM
Spike

Fire.. thanks for the shoot back on bow info .Ive been on a few sites and you are frist guy to give any info on bowhunting!!! Ive got on archery sites searched forums still nothung.Just wonder about bow hunting. If they are thick as stars in sky i thought about taking my recuve? (it woud have to be inside twenty yards??)I shoot "XT" also with just about every whistle i can put on it if wind doesnt get to bad i should be good to 75 to 80 yds.But i wuv to shoot the recurve!
Old 11-10-2009, 03:16 PM
Spike

perrywinkle we are going again on the 26 - 29 th w/donat i brought my 14 yr old son last year great experiance for all of us make sure you have a picture ID for him when we got to check point we had some trouble, only way we got his bous back was i did not tag out so they used my ID. again this year we will have a party of 8 3 being all of my sons 1 which has not benn bou huntingyet . hoping not to let him down !!!! although just the time together is all ways good the ony interuption is within your own party
Old 11-10-2009, 09:02 PM
Spike

I'm going the 29-2 for the first time. There are 8 in my party. We are staying at donat. This thread is getting me pumped up. Don't really know what to expect. I just hope that it turns out to be a fun safe trip.
Old 11-11-2009, 04:53 AM
Spike

Slokie ... how do you get a pic I.D. for my son? We had one in our group that broke his hip and cant go so my son is going! We were scrambling trying to get him passport (500$Next day) Was told he didnt need one (have to read fine print on that one? But everybody we have contacted says same thing? Orig. birth cert.,Written permission from mother?) Thanks for post hope you guys have a good trip! If there is some way i might take a laptop to post from Mirage (Wifi?)And give you guys a heads up on whats going on up there!
Old 11-11-2009, 05:02 AM
Spike

Some of you guys that have been up there before have any info on exactly where to go? everybody says L-G 1 dam but there is always little pinch point thats hard to find that most other hunters dont no about? All my buddies that arent going this year says around the 22 or 23 mile marker there is an island that they hunt aruond that pinches them down! I know they could be anywhere but little things like that you may not find till the last day of your hunt!!
Old 11-11-2009, 01:12 PM
Fork Horn

Yup - know that spot and several others along the Laforge Road. Problem is the migration dictates and I do not think you will see much off the Laforge Road unless they bunch up and hook back up. They are slowing and keeping together so I think groups will begin to break off looking for food. Unless you head up above Laforge try to hunt off LG4 near 22A. I know they will push up the powerlines as LG4 is freezing and weak right now - if they keep the pattern and stay west it will be a lean hunt without a machine.

I hope everyone has luck and a great trip up top.
Old 11-11-2009, 01:15 PM
Fork Horn

If he is under 17 he does not need a picture ID - just like at the border. He is hunting under your credentials and that is all you need. Make sure you have a copy of the birth cert and don't let the fish cops give you a hard time. If the lodge gives him a license he is good to go and tag what he gets.
Old 11-11-2009, 02:00 PM
Spike

perrywinkle all that you need for photo id @ check point 384 is a school id they told me would work just fine , what state are you in ? in ny we have enhanced drivers lic. you can get them expedited for an extra $20.00 / you will have a great time i'm not so sure there will be many bous left when we get there on the 25th maps not looking good we are waiting for info on first hunt to see if we go last year we didnt see any herds just straglers . in 07 we hit the migration perfect . i hope the outfitters are good about it if no bous / GOOD LUCK and DRIVE SAFE I HIT A BOU LAST YEAR just missed my radiator
Old 11-11-2009, 02:50 PM
Spike

anyone know of a good source for topo of 22a -b ? they have a good one at check point wrote down web site but cant seem to connect / hunt looks like sleds and going in deep
Old 11-11-2009, 03:34 PM
Spike

When I went in 06, I bought map at checkpoint 381, it's not a topo but it helps. Mirage also sold maps that were a bit more detailed. New tracking maps do not look good for later hunters. Bou's already 100+ km belows the Trans-Taiga. Early hunters please post info asap.

Quick Reply: Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.