Community
Other Areas Canada, Africa, etc.

Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Old 10-30-2009, 02:16 PM
Spike

Perrywinkle I just got an email from Donat Asselin asking about the caribou migration. They are not at the lodge yet and are in Quebec City still and will be up at the lodge a few days before the opening of the hunt. He says he doesn't know if any don't caribou are as far down as the Trans Taiga road. I have a friend that has gone up for the last 5 years and has never come back skunked. The maps show only a few animals that are collared, but the heard is estimated to be between 800 000 to 1 000 000 tasty critters. I'm sure there are more of them way further North that have to come down. Like heinz57 said they may stay if there is food. The weather is warm here and we are getting rain. It will be a while before there is ice on the lakes for them to cross on even though they are excellent swimmers.
Old 10-30-2009, 02:19 PM
Spike

Hey heinz do you go up for the winter hunt also?
Old 10-30-2009, 04:46 PM
Spike

Being this is our frist time for some reason im not worried!? Im bowhunting only so besides passport is there anything else i need to get across border in buffalo , N.Y
Old 10-30-2009, 09:41 PM
Spike

Perrywinkle you can only use recurve or compound bow. No crossbows allowed for some reason. I read it in the regs. at the weblink to the Quebec MRNF site.
Old 10-31-2009, 08:51 AM
Spike

Im shooting my mathews (compound) Dont let anything get with in 80yards of me!!
Old 10-31-2009, 02:36 PM
Spike

If you can, try your bow out when you get up there Perrywinkle. Friends of mine said that their bows perform differently in the cold weather. I even noticed it with rifles. Misfires because of frozen firing pins happened to quite a few hunters when I was at Mirage in 2007. Some of the hunters attributed it to moisture buildup which froze or too much oil on the firing pin.
Old 10-31-2009, 03:51 PM
Spike

Like always one more thing that i would not have thought of .. I'm going to take a small target and take a couple of shots each day ..Thanks again
Old 10-31-2009, 04:51 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by luv2hnt
Hey heinz do you go up for the winter hunt also?
no i have been offered to go up but declined the invitation ..i like to go up the last week of september ..we fly out from DORVAL airport ...2 1/2 hours flight and we land in CANIAPISCAU from there we get a 1 hour flight in an otter to the hunting camps .
Old 11-01-2009, 12:50 PM
Spike

Hey luv, "realistically" What is the chance of killing a good P.Y bull or atleast good bull?? (Or anybody else have any insite??)
Old 11-01-2009, 05:24 PM
Spike

You got to be at the right place at the right time Perrywinkle, unless you can afford a helicopter at $400/hr per person. 4 guys from Michigan did it out of Mirage in 2007 and got some decent bulls, but I was there mainly for the meat. The way I figure it if you can't get yourself a bull that you are happy with without having to hire a helicopter then you shouldn't be hunting. In Ontario it is illegal for anyone to use an aircraft for hunting. Yes I took a nice little bull, but the antlers are now sitting in my garage collecting dust. You will see some nicer bulls go by but you have to be really careful when you shoot so you don't hit more than one animal at a time. Remember party hunting for caribou is not allowed in Quebec. I wish I could figure out how to add a photo to my messages. I would attach some video or a pic of the caribou I saw migrating. I was looking at the migration maps and Google maps and it looks like the best chance of hitting the herd will be way up the LA-1 road.

Quick Reply: Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.