Community
Other Areas Canada, Africa, etc.

Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Old 10-05-2004, 03:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

We always bring the caribou back whole in trailers and pickup trucks as by then its cold enough. Not sure where you live or what hoops you have to jump through to satisfy the US border rules regarding meat importation from Canada? A bull caribou is like a good sized mule deer I would think. To put in perspective, the carcass skinned, no head, legs off at the knee joints going into my butcher weighed 160 lbs and 171 lbs on my last two caribou. Bigger than your average whitetail but not likely much bigger than a good mulie. As for cooler space it depends how you have it cut. I have everything boned completely and never actually have any game bones at all in my freezer. That drastically reduces the finished weight and size of your animal. You should be able to fit a caribou (deboned) in a cooler.
Old 10-08-2004, 10:16 PM

Default Labrador Winter Caribou Hunting

Anyone ever hunt bou in Labrador? I have a trip booked with Northern Lights Lodge for Nov. 15th-17th I know its a bit early but if the caribou are there then I'm guessing there will be less people and if they aren't our outfitter will let us come the next week or there after thanks.......

Don
Old 10-13-2004, 03:45 PM

I am surprised no has responded to this. The Schefferville/Labrador hunt is supposed to be very good area for the "Woodland" Caribou, which is non-migratory if I'm not mistaken. They're a little smaller than the free-ranging caribou, but they're a unique species and have their own trophy classification. Linking up with a guide who knows the lay of the land, has done his scounting, and can put you on top of where the animals live would have to be very important. Not so important when hunting the migratory caribou such as the George River herd.

Kenneth Smith
Monroe, Louisiana
Old 10-17-2004, 08:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

http://www.pourvoiriemirage.com/engl...se_caribou.cfm the mirage is charging a 28$ dollar fee to cut up and box the caribou. i would call to see if they take non mirage caribou. this could save a lot of space for the ride home.http://www.pourvoiriemirage.com/engl...ion_gibier.cfm
Old 10-17-2004, 08:33 PM
Fork Horn

I've hunted at Mirage the last several years and haven't heard of them cutting annimals except for their own customers. They usually are backed up about a day and a half.
Old 10-18-2004, 07:21 PM

Called Mirage today they will take other outfitters animals for cutting up as long as they aren't backed up. Your animals will be in line just like everyone elses. Sounds like a GREAT idea if they'll take them.
Old 10-20-2004, 01:23 PM

QUESTION. QUESTION!!!!

How much CDN funds should we bring up (2) of us for the trip? We are planning on paying for fuel/gas with CASH, is the foolish or not? THANKS FOR YOUR HELP!
Old 10-20-2004, 05:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

if your paid in full for your trip i wouldnt go too crazy. the u.s. dollar i think is worth a bit more but gas is very expensive. make sure you bring some dry gas additive. i cant remember but i think most places will take major credit cards which will give you the best rate of conversion.i would bring no more than the cost of licenses and a couple hundred at most and put as much as possible on a credit card. i think most places will take american money but they wont give you a good conversion rate.
Old 10-20-2004, 08:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

You can pay for lodging, gas etc with a credit card. I would not bother bringing too much cash. If you do remember that gas is around $3.50-4.00 per gallon up there. And Liquid makes a good point about bringing gas line anti freeze, bring lots and use it every time you add gas. Breakfast will run you around 20 bucks and a license around 300. If you have access to one, a satellite phone is comforting. We rent one and spread the cost among our group of 8 hunters.
Old 10-20-2004, 10:07 PM
Fork Horn

Same advice on cash and credit cards. Dry gas or diesel conditioner with anti-gel is especially important north of Matagami since the storage tanks from there on are above ground and prone to condensation.

Quick Reply: Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.