Community
Other Areas Canada, Africa, etc.

Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Old 09-03-2009, 07:23 AM
Spike

Default It is a law??

Originally Posted by perrywinkle
I was told not to gut them just to remove hind q's and front shoulders and tenderloins ??
No joke you are not allowed to just pull meat and leave a carcuss, when leaving you have to stop at the check station at 381 and have your animals recorded, They require quarter's so they can count the animals by matching parts. The Cops will make you unload the truck to look in boxes, coolers ect. I asked why this was and the officer indicated that if it is just meat how can he identify how many? This makes sence now! if I shot 3 animals and boned all the meat i could say I shot two unbeleivable 500# bulls!!!

I found what works best is to bark the animal, cut the front legs off, cut through the hind quarter to where it attachec to the spine and then cut the spine, chest cavity from the hind quarters. Now you can jam some of the legs in the chest cavity and put in you meat box without taking up much room.
When you get home to butcher you have larger chunks to work with and your loins will be better beacuse your not cutting through them to split the bou up there.
Old 09-03-2009, 07:46 AM
Spike

Default Sorry!

Originally Posted by drawbow
No joke you are not allowed to just pull meat and leave a carcuss, when leaving you have to stop at the check station at 381 and have your animals recorded, They require quarter's so they can count the animals by matching parts. The Cops will make you unload the truck to look in boxes, coolers ect. I asked why this was and the officer indicated that if it is just meat how can he identify how many? This makes sence now! if I shot 3 animals and boned all the meat i could say I shot two unbeleivable 500# bulls!!!

I found what works best is to bark the animal, cut the front legs off, cut through the hind quarter to where it attachec to the spine and then cut the spine, chest cavity from the hind quarters. Now you can jam some of the legs in the chest cavity and put in you meat box without taking up much room.
When you get home to butcher you have larger chunks to work with and your loins will be better beacuse your not cutting through them to split the bou up there.
Sorry Perrywinkle I did not mean to direct my reply to you! I was quoting you because I was going to mention that there is alot of additional meat, like the other guy said, when i seen his post I changed direction and wanted to make sure everyone knew about not boning meat!
Old 09-03-2009, 11:50 AM
Spike

No thanks for info drawbow.. ive always gutted my animals but i take a little more care and time than most ive seen so it should'nt be a problem! Just wanting to save space. If we bring trailer for a three day hunt we had to pull it for six days?? (Great story bob you dont read that kind of stuff in brochue,,, You going up this winter bob??)
Old 09-03-2009, 12:01 PM
Spike

Default Trailer's

As far as trailers 3 of us two years ago went up in a f150 crew with like a 6' bed also and we got everything in except the hides and horns, which we put on a hitch hauler. I was a little nevous having the horns back there all I could imagine was getting rear ended and loosing the horns.
Old 09-03-2009, 12:48 PM
Spike

Well i know the other boys will probally shoot small cows ...but i might need a peterbuilt to get mine home... We dont want to take trailer at all, but we will see, thanks for posting we went almost a week before somebody said anything i thought i was going to go crazy
Old 09-03-2009, 01:59 PM
Spike

No perry, I am not going this winter due to being out of vacation going on the fly in, but hope to next year. After 3 different trips hunting caribou, I found the winter hunt the most enjoyable and the only one I would want to do over.
Old 09-04-2009, 12:19 PM
Spike

thanks for P.M bob info priceless
Old 09-07-2009, 09:00 AM
Spike

Time for someone to make up something and post it.....Till bow season gets here it your job to keep my mind busy..... and right now your not doing a very good job!!
Old 09-07-2009, 02:47 PM
Typical Buck

some say the winter caribou meat is better than the fall caribou ,don't know why it would tast better especialy after the rut the bulls are a lot thinner ..any way i am leaving the 10 of sept. for a 7 day hunt with explo sylva ..i still believe that the middle of sept. is the best time for big racks ..
Old 09-07-2009, 05:14 PM
Spike

Good luck walter hope you kill the bull of your dreams and when you do send me pics so i to can get fired up for my hunt in nov!!!

Quick Reply: Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.