Community
Other Areas Canada, Africa, etc.

Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Old 09-30-2004, 04:55 PM

Default RE: Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

I do indeed belong to AAA, but 'got a hunch' sent a thorough collection of maps with which to find my way there and back.

Speaking of directions, I understand that a compass in that part of the country is absolutely useless since that is the region of magnetic north. Does anyone know if compasses can be purchased in the area that are adjusted for the local magnetic power?

I like to carry a compass when I am hunting, but I am certain that my regular compass will not be reliable in Quebec. Without a compass one must rely on the sun, which is hard to do in cloudy, overcast conditions.

Kenneth Smith
Monroe, Louisiana
Old 09-30-2004, 09:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Most high end compasses have adjustable declination that should compensate enough. Or you could just follow your own tracks in the snow, just kidding get a good compass.
Old 10-01-2004, 02:47 AM
Fork Horn

I like to carry a compass when I am hunting, but I am certain that my regular compass will not be reliable in Quebec. Without a compass one must rely on the sun, which is hard to do in cloudy, overcast conditions.
If you have a hand held GPS it is helpful.
Old 10-02-2004, 10:14 AM

I have a Garmin GPS and it works great! When you get to the lodge take a way point. When you driving around the area you plan to hunt turn the trace tracks mode on and you will always know where the road is. Also take a waypoint whereever you park your vehicle. This will get you back. don't know how the GPS will perform in the cold. Bring several extra batteries
Old 10-04-2004, 09:29 AM

Thanks. That's good information. I will add a GPS to my 'must get' equipment list prior to leaving for Quebec and Nouchimi.

Kenneth
Old 10-04-2004, 08:35 PM

Arrowed a buttonbuck over the weekend. The Matthews LX was on fire, deer ran less then 40 yards and was shot at 28 yards. Saw a NICE 10 pointer about 80 yards out in the picked corn field.

Getting ready for the Caribou too, can't kill as many deer as normal to keep room in the freezer for the Caribou. Just got in snow camo's today.

My reason for posting is do you have minimum size or area that the orange vest needs to cover that you have to wear?

Thanks,
mullis56
Old 10-04-2004, 08:36 PM

Also I didn't realize there were so many roads off of the main road up there, just got a package today from Donat Asselin with a detailed map of the hunting area and it shows all of the other roads in the area. Talk to you all soon.
Old 10-05-2004, 09:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

I know we have to wear orange, but is orange camo OK or does it have to be solid?

Mullis, is that map something you can scan and email?

Thanks guys!
Old 10-05-2004, 09:53 AM

I am new to big game hunting. How much cooler space will two caribou take up? I have a 100 QT cooler will I needa another? Do you freeze them after they are butchered?
Old 10-05-2004, 09:54 AM

ORIGINAL: BTBowhunter

I know we have to wear orange, but is orange camo OK or does it have to be solid?

Mullis, is that map something you can scan and email?

Thanks guys!
I belive that they want a bright orange vest only no cammo. I used to live in Quebec and remember that they were pretty strict on that.

Quick Reply: Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.