Community
Other Areas Canada, Africa, etc.

Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Old 09-23-2004, 04:24 PM

Default RE: Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Getting excited!!!!

For all of you past caribou hunters is the maps are the and the caribou moving as normal? Too fast? Too slow?

Looking forward to your responses for all of your veterens.

Also are snow camos a good addition? I think I am going to get a set from Cabela's for about $50, is it worth it?

8 days until archery season!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-23-2004, 07:06 PM
Fork Horn

It's too early to tell about the migration. I don't even look until the first of Nov. You can get snow camo's if you want but I don't see any advantage in it. You still have to wear an orange vest. If you're patient and don't make sudden moves the animals will get plenty close.
Old 09-23-2004, 08:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

Mullis, you might want to check Sportsmans Guide. They have Walls snow camo coveralls made to go over heavy clothing on closeout for 29.97. Just got mine a week or two ago. Nice stuff!
Old 09-26-2004, 05:01 AM

Default Ptarmagin after the Bou????

Earlier in this thread people talked about hunting ptarmagin after they got their caribou. Is it worth bringing a shotgun? Do you have to buy a second licence to hunt them? I am going up Nov 14 to 18th.
Old 09-26-2004, 01:31 PM
Fork Horn

Quite a few guys hunt ptarmagin. You need a small game license which costs $71 Candian for a non-resident and can be purchased at sporting goods stores or from most outfitters. The limit is 10 per day and maximum posession of 30. You can bring up to three firearms on one permit.
Old 09-28-2004, 04:49 PM

Is hunting ptarmagin like flushing and shooting Bobwhite Quail?
Old 09-28-2004, 09:07 PM
Fork Horn

Don't know. I used to hunt ringnecks years ago but that's about the extent of my bird hunting. By the way, Ken, did you get the stuff I sent and was it helpful? I mailed it a week ago yesterday. If you didn't get it yet you should soon.
Old 09-29-2004, 02:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

you will spot them mostly from the road and go in and try to kick them up. they are tolerant of people and it may take a bit to get them to fly. if the snow isint too deep you will have a blast. from what i was told the birds vary from year to year so if you can get a license last minute in camp i would wait to see.
Old 09-29-2004, 03:11 PM

ORIGINAL: got a hunch

Don't know. I used to hunt ringnecks years ago but that's about the extent of my bird hunting. By the way, Ken, did you get the stuff I sent and was it helpful? I mailed it a week ago yesterday. If you didn't get it yet you should soon.
Yes I have it, and thanks so much for sending it my way. The material is indeed very helpful. Detailed maps of Ontario being rather hard to come by down here.

Regarding the comparison twixt Ptarmagin and Qual, Bobwhite Quail are almost impossible to hunt without the aid of a reliable, pointing gun dog alerting you to their well-concealed presence. I get the impression that Ptarmagin do not require the assistance of a pointing hunting dog.

Kenneth Smith
Monroe, Louisiana
Old 09-29-2004, 09:13 PM
Fork Horn

If you belong to AAA they will send you maps. If not, there is usually a welcome station just after you clear customs. They should have pretty decent maps. Get maps of both Ontario and Quebec.

Quick Reply: Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.