Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Old 12-17-2007, 03:52 PM

Default RE: Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Fire3517;

Did you get my pm.

Old 12-18-2007, 10:18 AM
Fork Horn

No offense taken and I think I am being vague. The gas is based on splitting it between 2 guys as we go 2 to a truck - sorry to leave this out - so the total gas bill was $781.80 in a Nissan Frontier that appeared to be getting about 16.5 MPG on this trip as 1/2was in 4WD. Another truck in our party has a rig like similar to yoursand they spent $840.00. I think he saved $ this year by going studs and keeping it out of 4W for the entire trip. This is how I plan to go next year with studs.

We traveled about 60 on the TTR and averaged about 65-70 on the James Bay Road. With studs they beat us to K381 by 45 minutes - not bad.

Old 12-18-2007, 03:19 PM

Nord; thanks for your feedback. I thought there was something missing, but I didn't want to make assumptions. I'd rather ask what might be a stupid question. You never know.

I can put some information out there for everyone here from my own observations. It's a common misconceptionthat driving in four wheel drive dramatically decreases gas mileage. From my observations and given the following parameters; driving in four wheel drive has only a very minor impact on overall fuel consumption. That being said; it is certainly not a statement that can be applied to every case. I am stating that when traveling at a fairly constant speed, without stop/start driving, that the energy needed to turn the front drive components is only minimal. This is the sort of driving that those of us taking this trip are doing. In an urban setting, with regular stops and starts, things would be different for certain.

I base my observations on four round trips using 9 different full sized trucks all Ford or Chevy, 7 gas/2 diesels. Half tons, 3/4 tons, 1 tons, Suburban. New vehicles and vehicles with 80K miles. Having driven nose to tail with these vehicles, none of these vehicles suffers an appreciable mileage loss by using their four wheel drive. Driving style had a greater impact on mileage than whether or not four wheel drive was used. If the road conditions were such that it was necessary to slow down and speed up frequently, that was by far a bigger factor.

If you can maintain a constant speed and the conditions justify it, use the four wheel drive. This is merely my own insight I'm sharing. I know most of us have seen it for ourselves and all have heard of the bad wrecks that do occur on those roads. My personal opinion is better to be safe than sorry. I'll drive in four wheel anytime the road conditions are marginal, rather than risking staying in two wheel for the sake of 1/2 of a mile per gallon. The small amount of extra fuel is going to cost me less than 25 dollars for 750 miles. That is pretty cheap insurance compared to the costs of an accident. There are no guarantees that four wheel drive will prevent all accidents, but is certainly is better than not using it. One example of where it truly does help dramatically is on the Transtiaga when the road surface gets a lot of washboard in it. That hopping can get you loose in a hurry and a little bite in the front can really help keep you straight.

Didn't mean to get off on a big rant, just something that I have observed and know thereare some misconceptions about. We all invest a lot of time and energy doing this hunt; no one wants it spoiled.
Old 12-22-2007, 07:45 AM
Fork Horn

Alright you guys. Are we so fickle that now that most of you have gone and are home that there is nothing to talk about? You should be in the middle of planning next year's hunt. I plan to retire this coming summer an I think I'll give myself a present.I like caribou hunting so much that I'm doing a fall and a winter hunt next year. Just being out there among the heard isanexciting experience. Even after eight times I still get a huge thrill at seeing that awsomesight.My hunting partner has done it the last two years and has no intention of stopping until he isn't able to physically do it anymore.
Old 12-22-2007, 02:51 PM

hunchy thanks for that i was getting frustrated with the $$$ for the trip. When i finnally get to go it willnot be $ that will stop me . I can not wait , I just need to get in at mirage .
Old 12-23-2007, 08:05 PM
Spike

I just read in Friday's paper that we will need passports in 2008. Seems like anything to get a buck out of us.I think this garbage was started in the U.S.
Old 12-24-2007, 05:18 AM
Fork Horn

we need them now to get into the US from Canada!!
Old 12-24-2007, 07:22 PM
Fork Horn

Hey guys just wanted to wish all of the bou hunters a merry christmas
Old 12-25-2007, 12:59 PM
Fork Horn

And a Merry Christmas to all of you !Ah yes, passports,GWB andthe Homeland Security Department. Lets crack down on loyal citizens and make it more difficult for themwhile illegal aliens and terrorists can come and go almost at will. Go figure.
Old 12-26-2007, 07:27 AM
Fork Horn

Sounds like a good gift and the start of a long earnedretirement. The fall hunt sounds real nice - I spoke with Eric at Mirage and he has a camp now that has had great success this year and he is hoping to keep it up. The cost is actually not bad as compared to other outfits and Eric says between the bou, birds, and fishing there is plenty to eat and a great week of sporting. It would be hardto make both runs and I canot wait until I have the time off to do it.

The lodges have been down this year and they think it is because of the weak US dollar - that coupled with gas and the general cost of goods it is making it harder to make this trip. I will also be going until I cannot make it anymore - and for me this is many years to come, and hopefully I do not outlive the access to Caribou in thisregion. The herd is growing and it looks like there will be a bull/cow tag for next year to begin keepingthe numbersdown. The fish cops were estimating the herd at 900K which is a400% improvement over year 2000 numbers - I think you do not have to be a biologist to see that the current strategy is not working to conserve the herd health and numbers. I notice the animals were lean this year - lots of ribs showing on some bullsthat would normally be 400+. The health of the herd is measured in one mya by looking at the weight of the animals - both at birth and also adult weight, which has been diminishing as the herd expands and is a sign of over capacity. The lodges and other organization in QC have been lobying to expand the hunting ranges to the south along JBR, butthe fish cops have been citing weak hunter numbers in ther early hunts and they expect the outfittersto better accomodatehunters getting at the herd up top. Thier feeling is the current access is under utilized and this needs to be addressed before any expansion is considered. This may manifest itself in some deals for the early fall hunts and I think this is one strategy that Mirgae is looking at.They are expanding the outpost campsboth in numbers andcomforts and will also be looking to makethese hunts more affordable. So I think is anyone is looking to go to an early hunt this may be a good time to look into it.

My group is planning next year and the hardest part is the 335 days until we can be back up. Such a short week for all the planning and excitment to gettoLaforge. Maybe 3 tags would make things more exciting.....

Quick Reply: Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.