Fork Horn

Default RE: Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Basic Statsfor 2007 to My Account (My Wife....):

Origin: Central NH
Destination: Mirage
BASED ON 2 HUNTERS TO A TRUCK SPLITTING GAS

2609 Miles
4198 Km
Avg Gas/Ltr - $1.20 (0.82 low (NH) to 1.488 high (Mirage)
Gallons of Gas - 176
Liters of Gas - 666
Travel Lodging - $168.00
Travel Food - $60.00
Travel Fun...-$120.00
Mirage Loding - $1670.00
Bou Tags - $292.99
Gas Expenses - $390.90 (Total was $781.80 split 2 ways)
Meat Processing - $250.00
Truck PM - $30.00

I think that is $2981.89 total and I have 195 lbs of meat = $15.29 per pound. Not bad at all when you figure in all the fun and a hunt of a lifetime (or life times at this point).

We cannot wait for next years hunt - Cree predict migration path will be this for the next 2-3 years. Sounds good to us, but we will go no matter the migration pattern.

Old 12-16-2007, 03:36 PM
Fork Horn

Maybe in a few years....Still feeling the pain of the trip to the tundra in September....
Old 12-16-2007, 06:58 PM
Fork Horn

blackheel.. you find that a bit much!! The fall hunts are a lot more than that aren't they?? With what outfitter and how much $$ was your fall hunt??? (If you dont mind me asking)
Thanks,Rodney.
Old 12-16-2007, 07:34 PM
Fork Horn

Default Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

See this is my problem, people reaping other people for what to possibly shoot fish in a barrel no way. For one i live closer than alot of yous next, i have to room and board at a certain place why cant i go on my own, is it not crown govrn land. Three is i can supply my own meals my own linen. Heck why not have some one shoot them for me. Four is im a canadian resident being treated as a non resident WHAT THE H@&*L were all canadian here, arnt we? Hum i say separate. Five, drive 24 600$ on gas 2500 on tags and licences. Highway robbery. Sorry people but you can go and get a beef and a pig of your chice for less than that now dont get me wrong i want to go in the worst way for and animal like that but i all of a sudden think of my family and disney land or a cruise or a trip to b.c fishing or florida on a deer hog hunt etc. As for you rod max 3 tags 100$ gas 50 bucks 2 bucks 1 weighing upto 300 other one 200 pds and waiting for a doe thats my trip and ill vouch for anyother person that thinks like me. Sorry im just one guy.
Old 12-17-2007, 05:20 AM

99 jeep,
I guess since its your country you can complain all you want. But I have hunted in many different states in the US and all have there own rules. I can not hunt in Alaska without a paying a fee to a guide. As far as shooting fish in a barrel is concerned I guess if you hit the migration just right it can be that easy. As for my trip we hunted hard for all three days and I just managed to fill my second tag with an hour to spare. There were several folks at the Mirage that were going home with only one tag filled all because we were a bit late. If that is your attitude about hunting than I agree with you about taking that money you would have spent and buy a few sides of beef. You may even be able to talk the farmer in to letting you shoot them with you nap expandables if that makes for enough of a challenge for you.
Old 12-17-2007, 05:37 AM
Fork Horn

Yes its just me i guess and no i wouldnt shoot a cow. I just hear and see alot of people complaining about the price including me our neighbours,that are further (states side) and do it but i guess its a once in a life time hunt you have to try it once just wont be me.[&o]
Old 12-17-2007, 10:44 AM
Fork Horn

99 jeep i have been going to the mirage for 5 years now every year and never get sick of going and yes when the caribou are in thicker than pea soup its pretty easy to get your bou it all depends on how you hunt and how long you want to hunt as far as the price you get evey penny out of it as far as i am concerened cause you get two bou'sand the migration is a sight to see yes we flew out a few times to get our bous but how many time in your life do you get to fly in a chopper to no mans land and get dropped off right in the middle of the migraton.You can go to texas and hunt whitetail for $4000 dollars just for the hunt not including your gas or guide fee and only shoot one deer. I guess people just see things a lot differently than others.
Old 12-17-2007, 12:36 PM
Fork Horn

99 jeepI am not sure if you understood me or not, I havent done the bou trip yet but I will some year when I have the funds. Right now my annual moose hunt is what I can afford. As for being a resident,Each province has their own rules,a friend of mine comes "home" to quebec for moose hunting and he has to pay I think $260.00 for his non resident tag, But a resident like myselfpays only $46.00. as for the bou hunt even a resident like me has to go through an outfitter if I want to go..UNLESS i get picked in the random draw?? they draw i think 1000 resident tags each year,not good odds.
Rodney.

Old 12-17-2007, 12:51 PM
Fork Horn

Thats a bummer sorry to hear.
Old 12-17-2007, 02:47 PM

Nord: Thanks for the stats. I have a couple of questions, I hope you don't mind. I've been doing this since 2001, so I have plenty of experience. But, I think it is important to make improvements each time. Especially with costs increasing each year.

It appears your using less fuel that we are. What are you driving? Can you guestimate your normal mpg fuel consumption during your inbound and outbound travel? Fuel is one of the biggest expenses. Using the numbers you posted; ($391 in fuel)/(176 gallons) = that equals an avarage fuel cost of $2.22/gallon. That seems very low. Average gasoline costs on the way up, in Ontario and Quebec were roughly $1.10/Liter (3.8L/gallon=$4.18 gallon). I'm not trying to be negative at all. I'm just asking to see if there is a way I can lower my own costs.

We drive full size four wheel drive trucks and average a conservative 13mpg on the way up and back. I know some of the smaller rigs probably get better milage than we do, especially if thier running slower than we are travelling.

Again, I'm asking because I genuinely believe there is always room for improvement.

Thanks, JR

ORIGINAL: Nord QC Bouman

Basic Statsfor 2007 to My Account (My Wife....):

Origin: Central NH
Destination: Mirage

2609 Miles
4198 Km
Avg Gas/Ltr - $1.20 (0.82 low (NH) to 1.488 high (Mirage)
Gallons of Gas - 176
Liters of Gas - 666
Travel Lodging - $168.00
Travel Food - $60.00
Travel Fun...-$120.00
Mirage Loding - $1670.00
Bou Tags - $292.99
Gas Expenses - $390.90
Meat Processing - $250.00
Truck PM - $30.00

I think that is $2981.89 total and I have 195 lbs of meat = $15.29 per pound. Not bad at all when you figure in all the fun and a hunt of a lifetime (or life times at this point).

We cannot wait for next years hunt - Cree predict migration path will be this for the next 2-3 years. Sounds good to us, but we will go no matter the migration pattern.

Quick Reply: Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.