Community
Other Areas Canada, Africa, etc.

Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Old 09-21-2004, 07:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Don't be a fool and ake off your stickers! Canada or not ! feel proud of what you do. My truck is a driving hunt Club and I cross back and forth all the time with out any comments or hassles. Boy I wish you were picking me up on the way thow

If your heading to quebec would the Thousand island crossing not be closer for you. Heading to Watertown NY and cross there...BT
Old 09-21-2004, 07:50 PM

Going to use a 700BDL .30-06, any suggestions on medicine? Isn't there a minimum on ammo size (grains)?

Also anyone ever use a smoke-pole? (muzzleloader) I have a NEW TC Omega with the sealed breach and I don't think that the weather would be an issue, but is it legal? If so is that considered another gun to bring into Canada?

Thanks for your help....looking forward to the trip, but better yet 10 days till our early bow season opener!!!!!!!!
Old 09-21-2004, 09:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

A muzzleloader is considered a rifle so all laws apply to them also. As for bullet weight in your 3006, use whatever your favourite deer load is. Caribou are not that big. By all means bring your smokepole if you want but keep in mind you could have a super bull walking on the far side of a frozen lake 300 yds away and then you will wish for a 3006!
Old 09-21-2004, 09:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

I used a 7mm rem mag last time with 150 Ballistic tips. Perfect bullet for caribou. 2 shots 2 instant in your tracks kills!
Old 09-21-2004, 09:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

BTBowhunter,
As soon as you have your license in hand you can hunt as long as you are within the zone. On our first trip up 2 of our guys got a little excited and limited out (2 bulls each) before we even got to our cabin and unloaded our gear. They ended up hunting Ptarmigan for the rest of the trip. As long as you have a tag you can take animals. One word of advice about tags: they are attached to the license and be careful to only detach them one at a time as you use them up. One of our guys detached them both at once and later got checked by the game wardens and was in a pile of trouble until I showed up and smoothed it out with them ( I speak french fluently). My buddy was accused of trying to re-use a tag so detach them 1 at a time!
Old 09-21-2004, 09:41 PM

Don't have a favorite deer load, we can use only slug guns or smokepoles......any suggestions? Do you know anyone who has brought a smokepole? Have you seen any up there?

Also regarding maps where is a good place to get them? What maps will we for sure need? We will be going through St. Ste. Marie and have been up through there before and into Quebec not this far about 12-14 hours further for this trip and we were almost out of standard regular maps before. I look forward to your guidance on what maps we'll need....
Old 09-21-2004, 09:42 PM

Terry did you get any mountable bulls? How many points? Approx spread and height of rack?
Old 09-21-2004, 10:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Mullis56,
You will need a regular road map of Ontario to get yourself up to Northern Quebec and likely cross at New Likeard into Quebec. You the head north to Mattagami, very easy and simple. Yes I did see guys carrying smokepoles, but you are limiting your range and you might regret it if you see a dandy thats 300 yds away and walking away from you! Every body in our group who wanted a mount got one. Mine has double shovels, 32 points that are scoreable ( it actually has 4 more that are too small) and only measures 36" across the top. It is very symetrical and is exactly what I wanted as its in my rec room in the basement and a larger one just would not fit. I passed up some much wider ( as in over 5 ft wide) because I find a more developed rack with lots of points looks nicer. If you want a mounter just be patient and don't shoot too fast. You WILL get a good one. I leave for moose in 2 days and when I return I leave for my first Wyoming antelope hunt 1 week later. The wife is not too impressed. Actually one of the guys who is coming with me to Wyoming is going back up to Nouchimi the last week of November. Its his 3rd trip up there.
Old 09-22-2004, 02:41 AM

ORIGINAL: Adrian J Hare

Don't be a fool and ake off your stickers! Canada or not ! feel proud of what you do. My truck is a driving hunt Club and I cross back and forth all the time with out any comments or hassles. Boy I wish you were picking me up on the way thow

If your heading to quebec would the Thousand island crossing not be closer for you. Heading to Watertown NY and cross there...BT
I'm glad you have that experience. I am forewarned about those things that could make crossing into and from Canada (or NY) a problem however. But hey, if they want to do a thorough shake down of my vehicle they can go right ahead. I'll have a down sleeping bag and a portable camping stove to make coffee. I plan to be comfortable while they're excercising their politics! [>:]
Old 09-22-2004, 06:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

Cant help but wonder if the fact that you are a Canada resident has something to do with that.

Either way, Cainneach, you're right that as long as you got your ducks in a row, let em look!

Quick Reply: Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.