Community
Other Areas Canada, Africa, etc.

Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Old 12-14-2007, 06:34 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Fire3517 is right!! The crew cab would give the two of you plenty of room for gear and then the bou would easily fit in the back. Hauling 4 bou back in that truck would be easy. A trailer will slow down your travel considerably & could cost you a breakdown depending on what shape it is in. I would opt to take the new crew cab! 2 people per full size truck is perfect!!
Old 12-14-2007, 02:18 PM

We put three men in each truck. These are always full size four wheel drive trucks; suburbans, extend cabs, or crew cabs. Never have a problem hauling all necessary gear and whole caribou. Even the suburban has brought home 6 whole caribou riding on top. Pick-ups make things much easier, especially since we rent a snowmobile. Three people per truck cuts down on travel expenses, which are huge these days with gas prices soaring and the exchange rates near equal. I believe it's feasible to put four guys in a truck. I know many others have done it. Our group size is always at least six, so we need two trucks and the buddy system when traveling those roads is a nice insurance policy.
Old 12-14-2007, 04:32 PM
Spike

This is for 99 jeep or anyone else who may be interested. This year for the first hunt (Nov.15-17) my brother and I hunted out of Kisk. We tagged out in 2 days in spite of not many animals. (we only saw about 35 including riding in and leaving) Rene told us that we could book next year at this year's price if we got back to him before Jan 15.The price is scheduled to raise $75 next year.(This year was$1350)I asked about a later date and at that time at least every date was still available. We had a great time even though it was our first time up, but agree that due to the distance and costs we would rather go every other year. The main reason we went early was to not interfere with PA's deer season. They have called my brother twice since we came back, including today, trying to get us to rebook.(He was considered our group leader)If someone would be interested in going at this reduced rate every other year, let me know. I don't know how many years they will hold the same cost, but they seem to really like people who go every year. As long as the booking is there, I don't believe they care if different people show up. Send me a private message if interested.
Old 12-14-2007, 05:57 PM
Fork Horn

Looks like im going moose hunting thanks all for all the info.
Old 12-15-2007, 06:14 PM
Spike

Hi.
New to this forum. Have been following this thread for over a year now. I have decided that I am now ready to go winter hunting next year. Possibly looking to join a group for the last week in November.
Live in Ontario.
Old 12-16-2007, 05:50 AM
Fork Horn

I've been browsing through the posts from the last month. Seems like y'all had had a great time. I did a late summer tundra hunt this year for 'bou and want to do another 'bou hunt, maybe a winter hunt. If we had a group of 5 hunters, about what is the cost of this trip coming out to per person?
Old 12-16-2007, 07:27 AM
Fork Horn

blackheel depending on where you stay it costed us per person around
$3100 to $3200 dollars but we pay fo an extra day to hunt ptarmigan and scout where the bou are that price was for six guys each including gas which was split 6 ways and fuel was $890 per person we drive about 1400 miles here from michigan it all depends on where you live the closer the better and take extra fuel with you cause at $1.48 per liter at the lodges gets pretty expensive especially when it takes 3 liters to make on gallon
Old 12-16-2007, 08:20 AM
Fork Horn

3000 to 3200 per personis about right. We also drive about 1400 miles from Michigan. Motel night each way, extra night at outfitter, fuel etc. This year with the fuel prices up and theexchange rate about even or a negative for us the cost went up. The first time I went we did it for about 1400 each but the exchange rate was 1.58 Canadian to 1.00 US.
Old 12-16-2007, 11:28 AM

Those figures match our costs as well coming from central NY, 1250 miles to the Mirage. Roughly $2800 without the extras. Small game license and extra days will add couple hundred dollars to the cost. In 2001, when we first did this hunt, it cost us less than $1500 dollars. The price of the hunt isn't what has increased dramatically. It's the decrease in the exchange rate with the american dollar and the skyrocketing fuel costs.
Old 12-16-2007, 11:30 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks guys. Quite a bit more than I expected!

Quick Reply: Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.