Community
Other Areas Canada, Africa, etc.

Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Old 12-06-2007, 06:45 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

thanks ,and Congrats on your hunt , I do a fair bit of Quading and Ski dooing on ice and I was thinking it wasn't that cold up north before the hunt started... Rodney
Old 12-06-2007, 07:39 PM
Fork Horn

We started hunting on Nov. 30. Ran a snowmobile all over the lakes that we hunted with no problem. Stay away from open water and narrow areas. Look before you leap. Be cautious and pay attention and you will be ok. If you are not sure always err on the side of caution.
Old 12-10-2007, 11:50 AM

Just got back last night (Sunday). Hunted Dec 4 5 6 out of Mirage. Parked the truck the whole time and hunted up the skidoo trail north of the Mirage. Jumped from lake to lake, sat on herds, glassed animals, saw over 1000 on our first day, had a blast. We were only 1-5 miles north of the lodge the whole time, not quite to the power lines. Saw well over 2000 bou in 3 days. We took 4 decent animals and my buddy'shad an above average rack. Not a lot of big racks left. Saw a real nice trophy about 500 yds awaytrotting off the lake but no shot, too many animals around him and only had maybe 3 seconds before he stepped into cover. Maybe next year he'll be bigger!!!

It was an amazing adventure, good people, great food, awesome scenery.
XM Radio in the truck made the drive go easier.

On the way out there were large number of bou on the road from mirage west to the James Bay Road, and south to 381. We actually saw small groups down as far as the 257KM so HEADS UP ON THE ROAD. We saw well over 200 animals on the road on the way out.

Road conditions were somewhere between icy and lousy.........RESPECT THAT ROAD. SLOW DOWN. SAW LOTS OF VEHECLES FISHTAILING AROUND WHEN WHEY CAME UP ON BOU ON THE ROAD.
Thanks to all for your input and information on this site.Will post photos as soon as soon as I book our reservations for next year.

Cheers
Old 12-10-2007, 04:06 PM
Fork Horn

Congrats on your good hunt, and thanks for the tips on the road sightings.
Old 12-11-2007, 04:00 AM
Fork Horn

I dont really understand this road distance thing ...... i know you travel up to 3 to 400 km but you dont shoot the animals off the road do you, is that legal inQuebec. Also can you take one of those tents with a wood stove and camp in it off the road or? How would a newbie start out for next yrs hunts as im really liking this trip do i have to go through a out fitter? And can a 99 jeep make it up in there or do i take a pick up truck? All help would be nice thanks.
Old 12-11-2007, 06:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: 99 jeep

I dont really understand this road distance thing ...... i know you travel up to 3 to 400 km but you dont shoot the animals off the road do you, is that legal inQuebec. Also can you take one of those tents with a wood stove and camp in it off the road or? How would a newbie start out for next yrs hunts as im really liking this trip do i have to go through a out fitter? And can a 99 jeep make it up in there or do i take a pick up truck? All help would be nice thanks.
No you can't. There are over 150 pages here answering everything ever asked about this hunt, grab a coffee and start reading.
Old 12-11-2007, 09:34 AM

99jeep, it is not legal to shoot from the roadway. References to the road generally are referring to locations where caribou are located in relation to the road, which is the primary way of reaching the caribou during this hunt.

Non-residents and Residents are REQUIRED to use the services of an outfitter in Zone 22B.
http://www.mrnfp.gouv.qc.ca/english/publications/online/wildlife/caribou-regulations/index.asp
Follow link for regulations.

The condition of your vehicle is what really matters. You can't afford any breakdowns. Four wheel drive is a definite plus. If you pack light it is possible. I have seen other jeep wanglers several times. But you will be limited in what you can bring and how you get your caribou home.
Old 12-11-2007, 10:03 AM
Fork Horn

Think hard about the size of the bou and how you plan to transport them back home. You don't want to loose any of that tasty meat!! :-)

I did see one person with a small Jeep Liberty pulling a small enclosed trailer. It all boils down to the condition of your vehicle (and trailer) and having enough room for gear & bou!

Keep in mind that one radiator hose can cost you hundreds to repair when you factor in possible towing, parts, overnight waiting, etc. I purchased a belts, wipers, hoses, etc. for an insurance policy!

Play it smart & use common sense and prepare for the worst & you'll have a great time!

Old 12-11-2007, 10:18 AM
Fork Horn

FYI on Towing:

1km = $2.00 CAN

You may need to get to Valdor or further to fix what is broken. Many klicks.....
Old 12-11-2007, 02:54 PM

ORIGINAL: BKMSTR

Think hard about the size of the bou and how you plan to transport them back home. You don't want to loose any of that tasty meat!! :-)

I did see one person with a small Jeep Liberty pulling a small enclosed trailer. It all boils down to the condition of your vehicle (and trailer) and having enough room for gear & bou!

Keep in mind that one radiator hose can cost you hundreds to repair when you factor in possible towing, parts, overnight waiting, etc. I purchased a belts, wipers, hoses, etc. for an insurance policy!

Play it smart & use common sense and prepare for the worst & you'll have a great time!
BKMSTR, you should be aware by now that I concider a trailer just an additional liability. I encourage everyone to do everything in thier power to not take a trailer on this hunt. I know for some it may be necessary, but with smart, minimal packing and some creativity it usually can be avoided.
Here is a picture of our rigs the night before we left this year. Each truck carries 3 men and thier gear and 6 whole caribou; and we had room to spare.

Quick Reply: Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.