Community
Other Areas Canada, Africa, etc.

Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Old 11-29-2007, 01:41 PM

Default RE: Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

I may be interested in rotating my hunt at the Mirage. I went the last 3 years and let some guy's from around where I live go in my place this year. I don't plan on going back until 09 and if these guy's don't want next year I might be able to work something out...
Old 11-29-2007, 01:42 PM

First attempt at posting. Hopefully it will work. Shot some nice animals but must be patient. 10 of us shot 20 caribou

IMG_3297.jpg
IMG_3319.jpg
IMG_3340.jpg

Old 11-29-2007, 06:39 PM
Fork Horn

Im back. I have to say this was one of the coolest experiences of my life. We hunted on the 26th and 27th and saw thousands of caribou. Alot of guys claim they see 20K animals but I can honestly say that i saw around 7K in my two days. THe 26th had more and better bulls than teh 27th. I took both of my bulls on the 26th.
I videoed and took pics on the second day of hunting. We all got 2 bulls each.

These two are mine:

THis is my best bull:

This is one of my favorite pics that I took:

This is all of our Bous:

We hunted the same spot both days, it was on LA1 just before the 20 Kilometer mark. WE set up on a finger that ran into alake and created a bottleneck. We made sure to get away from the road (1.25 miles) in order to see the big ones first. We had steady traffic both days at this location. We set up a ground blind to get some video footage and it worked like a charm:

I learned alot on this trip and had fun learrning it. I will be that much better at it next time. If anyone has any specefic questions for me I will be more than happy to provide the info. I just returned this afternoon.
Old 11-30-2007, 05:07 AM
Fork Horn

Congrats on your hunt and thanks a lot for sharing your pics.Rodney.
Old 11-30-2007, 06:44 AM
Fork Horn

Got back Wed. morning around 3am!! Sorry, this is the first I've had a chance to post. What an amazing hunt!! We arrived at Kisk on the 22nd to start hunting the 23rd. Most guys were heading north on snowmobiles claiming the majority of animals were north of camp kisk. We headed south and it didn't take long till we found a good crossing. Excitement and 3 years of anticipation took over from there & I shot the first bull I saw! Getting him out with 3' of snow on the ground was quite....interesting!! We saw approx 150 to 200 animals on the first day. That night Kisk plowed the road north for the hunters to take vehicles, but we went south again to avoid competition with other hunters. We hunted Depot 22 and had good success. We watched groups of 20 to 40 animals at a time come across the ice and past our location. I took my second bull there. We hunted the same spot the last day were we tagged out by 10am. After that we hunted ptarmigan the rest of the day. We didn't see very many large bulls, but a lot of bald headed animals. I watched one knock his antler off on the ice. I was planning to retrieve it till I cleard the snow and stomped my foot on the ice and it went right through. It wasn't worth the risk!!

Camp Kisk in my opinion is one of the better outiftters up there. They are extremely personal and friendly and willing to help out in any way. The food, service, & help was incredible!! The road to Kisk was well plowed and we had no problem getting in & out. The only downside I see to hunting from Kisk is the territory. We learned while there, that you must hunt in Kisk's designated area...you DO NOT have hunting access to the entire zone like Mirage, Nouchimi, & Donuts. A group of hunters got fined $370.00 each for hunting outside Kisk's zone. This is something Rene and Paul plan to continue to fight since it gives them an unfair advantage. When I return, I will no doubt try to book with Kisk again. They were extremely accomodating and didn't try to charge you extra for every little thing!

All-in-all it was a great trip and something I definitely lood forward to doing again soon. During our 3 day hunt, I would estimate we saw approx. 2000 animals and on our way out, we doubled that. The majority of the heard was still north of Kisk when we left and I think anyone heading in will have a great hunt!! On the way out, we saw animals starting to arrive west of Nouchimi, but not many.

I got to see, caribou, fox, ptarmigan, spruce grouse, & a wolf!! What an amazing adventure!!! I will post some pics later when I have time. I have lots of catching up to do now!!

Thank you to all for the advice and information.

Darkside, you were right!! They were there!! Thank you, my friend, for all your advice and encouragement!
Old 11-30-2007, 06:54 AM
Fork Horn

Your most welcome my friend. Glad you had a great time and got your animals.
Old 11-30-2007, 06:59 AM
Spike

Just got back from the Bou hunt yesterday afternoon. Ditto for me the bou are in and we limited out for 4 guys. They were crossing the LA-1 road everywhere and we go 7 of the 8 bou's there. I found it to be too crowded and hunters were shooting unsafely. I'm surprised nobody has been hurt yet. The next day on the 27th I was the only one in my group with a tag left and they were talking about leaving early to go home so I felt pressured to shoot. My first bull was a medium sized one and I wanted to take a nice one to mount the antlers. I took a nice bull which I thought has both his antlers, but in the rush I didn't take the time to take a good look with the binoculars and took him at 190 yards with the .270. When I go to him I observed that he has already shed his right antler, but the one that was still on was nice. I shot him at km 440 on the Trans Taiga and there are less hunters that way and the animals are not as excited and moving slowly through the trails. I enjoyed the hunt, but the travelling sucked. I'll go back, but I won't be hunting with the same group again. I spent 1 1/2 days hunting and 4 days travelling. The other 3 in my group have been there before so I expected that they would not shoot their 2 on the first day so we could relax at the lodge and stretch out the hunt by taking a couple a day and scouting for big bulls. I saw at least 5000 animals and on the way out they were crossing from about 160 up to 460 on the Trans-taiga road which is as far East as I went.

Good Luck
Old 11-30-2007, 07:16 AM
Fork Horn

Luckily we only had one unsafe incident with a French guy. He made an unsafe foolish shot at a bull standing 75yds behind me while he was 200yds away. He hit the bull in the @$$ and then proceeded to drive down to us asking for a gun or bullets since he only had one bullet!! He returned later to chase down the bull on his snowmobile and finally killed it. He fired at it on the ice, he chased it with a snowmobile & he shot from his snowmobile!! What an idiot. I believe some other hunters had problems with him also so Kisk had a little chat with him!!

Since we elected to hunt below camp, we ran into very few other hunters which made for an even better trip! Most of the guys we got to know at camp Kisk where very friendly and shared the same hunting ethics we did.

Oh, my bow never left it's case!!! I was chasing a bleeding caribou 200 yds in 3' of snow!! LOL
Old 11-30-2007, 08:04 AM
Spike

Thanks for the reports and the pics guys. The reports are a whole lot different than this time last year.
Old 11-30-2007, 11:46 AM
Spike

BKMSTR did you see a lot of other hunters shooting numerous shots at a caribou? I saw it several times. They must have been very bad shots because I took both mine down one shot each. It's true thatthey areeasy to kill. My buddy took his second one with his .32 special no problem. Also you have to be very careful because the bullet travelled straight through both of the bou's I shot. You could easily wound or kill a second one. After experiencing the hunt I can say that there is no reason for someone to pull a John Wayne and emptythe wholemag at a bou.There is plenty of time to make a good killshot and finish the job quick.

Quick Reply: Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.