Community
Other Areas Canada, Africa, etc.

Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Old 11-24-2007, 05:45 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

harness racer caribou hunting is very easy when they are in don't shoot the first bull that you see he may be big and have hockey sticks for his tops look for big shovels and wide bezes with fingers on them and on the top look for good palmation and fingers also if its your first time and the bou are in,take the first day and use it as a scoutingday untill you find what your looking for believe me when they are as thick as pea soup you have plenty of time to chose the right one. Signed up for next year at the mirage first week again anyone else?
Old 11-24-2007, 05:49 PM
Fork Horn

Bet me I'm going!! This year's the first time for a while that they've been in the zone in such great numbers. Hope it lasts into December. And if they're here again next year, yes I'll be going.
Old 11-24-2007, 06:14 PM

Darkside - I just finished reading that web-site . This guy should write comedy, I can't stop laughing , I do not know if all of it is true but pics do not lie , those bunks are unreall, lol.... it must be a hoot to see somebody with 10 beer in them trying to get underneath there lol....
If I shot that caribou I would have followed it and waited till the fella put his tag on it and then empteed my clip on it " have fun eating led and blood pudding" I guess he is not all that accurate french ontarians are highly excitable too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And what about Jack the bozo guide , couldn't go anywhere with flat tires now could he , so either this fella is full of hockus pokus or his main source of food is pizza.
Old 11-24-2007, 06:38 PM
Fork Horn

Hey I'd post some pictures of when we stayed at Donats. Those bunks are really not that bad. We usually go as couples which means our wives or girlfriends are with us. LOL. And if the women had no gripes about the washroom and the sleeping arrangements, how bad could that guy have had it??

And here's another thought and something we always do. Depending on where you stay, if you're American or European plan and we've done both...when we went European plan at Donats which is all he has, we just went a few kms up the road and ate at the Mirage. We had to go there for gas anyway.
Old 11-24-2007, 06:58 PM

Darkside ,

No kiddng how bad is it when you got to shower with women ? Poor guy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 11-24-2007, 07:18 PM
Typical Buck

The year we went the caribou were not in the area, we stayed at Donat. It was Thanksgiving week. I called Barb & the recording said the caribou were not there yet. The maps also showed them on the otherside of LA1----just out of reach unless you had the helicopter by Mirage. We still drove up & hoped. They didn't come across till a week after we left. It's hunting----if you want shooting go to Texas & hunt on a corn feeder with high fenced deer. Donat offered a $100 discount on next year's hunt or you could comeback after 12/1 & hopefully the caribou would be there. It's hunting----no guarantee.

Like someone posted.
#1 Mirage-----but you can't get a space unless you already have a space or an "in". Some guys have blocks of hunts booked & then sell them at their local hunting or sporting club.
#2 Kiski
#3Donat----spartan but ok
#4 Nouich----long drive to area & then back to camp everyday.

We'll go back-----I'll try to get into Kiski, if not Donat will get a call.

Old 11-24-2007, 07:25 PM
Typical Buck

As far as the washrooms at Donat. Geesh----I just went to shower when the other hunters were either eating or I went just before bed. They are crowded just after everyone gets back from the hunt-----shower at a different time----How hard is that.

There are water jugs in the huntsthat are filled everyday, we used it to cook with. We took bottled water to drink. We precooked out meals & then just reheated. It's a hunting camp-----not a 5 star resort.

It is nice if there is a large group of you----that way you all can camp together. If not, hunters are hunters----I can get along with them. Told hunting stories & everyone got along. CB
Old 11-25-2007, 09:03 AM
Fork Horn

Have hunted at Donat's (one time) They didn't have showers when I was there. You had to heat water on the stove and do the stand up and wash your ass shower. Wet wipes come in handy for a quick clean up so as not to be too offensive to the others in your accomodations. I did find the guy and gal inrunning the office to be kind of rude but that year when we got theremost of the hunters were leaving empty handed because the migration was late. The heard showed up on LA 1 at the end of the road past Kisk the next day. Everybody was a little tense so I wrote it off as just that.Hunted out of Mirage since 01 and will continue to go there as long as I go up there. Stayed at Nouchime overnight once on the way in. It was ok but I don't think I would book there, although sometimes you have to drive a good distance to find animals anyway. Have not stayed at Kisk although I know guys who have andI haven't heard any bad reports. I do miss Having Paul running the snowmobile shop. We got to be friends over the years and each year he got better with English but I can't say the same for my French. All in all any bad experiences we had over the years had nothing to do with the outfitter. They only have a certain amount lf control over your hunting experience. The rest is up to you and theBig Guy upstairs. Wishing success to those up there now and those yet to go. Leaving for Mirage Wednesday.
Old 11-25-2007, 03:33 PM

Safebuster - I hope your afternoon at church with your ex-wife was as good as mine in the bush, The post hunt scout was less than impressive , I seen very little D tracks , there was some 2-3 of them that walked in the pole line (snow only 4 days ) , oddly enough most of the tracks were on top of the tundra" wierd ". Maybe they migrate out of there to greener bush , will have to go back . Not one fresh track , five minutes in one spot with the dogs and it looked **** a stampede of tracks ,so evedently there not exactly there at this time. Drop the salt block off on the northside of the mountain(mistake?)but not confident they will find it . Did not see one m- track so maybe it means nothing . Check out kisk and let me know if you want to book for this week or wait for next.
Old 11-26-2007, 10:01 AM
Fork Horn

The new map looks awesome!!!...We are heading out Friday morning and should be atNouchimi Saturday afternoon...I'm pumped!!!

Quick Reply: Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.