Community
Other Areas Canada, Africa, etc.

Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Old 11-22-2007, 06:54 PM

Default RE: Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Hi everyone,

Back home and somewhat settled in after a long drive back from Kiskimaastakin, just like all have done who have been to the camps.
Here are observations I made and something of a report.
Snow cover increased from @ 6” to 1.5’-2’ after a bit of snow. Obviously the drifts were deeper. There was more snow to the east than the west. At the James Bay/Trans Taiga junction there was very little snow as of Monday afternoon. However Monday night just south of 381 KM on James Bay road we entered snow that at time was a blizzard. This continued for 450 miles almost into Ontario, north of North Bay.
To the east @ the 540 on the Trans Taiga the snow was much deeper (as of Sunday) with drifts waist high. The road was passable by 4wd vehicle at that time. Obviously this is old news, though.
The coldest temperature was 9 degrees F with the high being @ 35.
When we first got to Kiski we spent the day before season opened learning the area and watching for tracks. Much more were seen below camp towards Laforge 1 than north.
As Bob in PA mentioned I did tag out on the first day, late afternoon-ironically north of camp, even though observations made the day before on Wednesday indicated otherwise.
Thursday was spent on the move, actually hunting. I drove 55 miles that morning on the ATV checking all around Depot 22 and numerous other roads up and down the Laforge 1 road.
The way my buddy and I got ours was by going up on a small mountain that afternoon where we had a view of the reservoir. On my side I saw none and went back down to check another area.
Just as I reached trails end, I saw 4 emerge from the woods and start across the reservoir.
I called my buddy on the radio, who had just seen 20 on the reservoir, headed my way.
He came down and we agreed to sit tight as we were in a good position, provided that which he saw was coming our way.
A few moments passed when we saw them across the way from us emerging from the woods.
We each got in shots, with mine not being an immediate kill-it started across the ice and back onto land around a point. As it was later in the day it was not prudent to start tracking it. I waited until the next morning.
We later filled our tags on bulls, mine in the same location and his off the Trans Taiga @ 540 KM.
Coming out of this I realize just because there can be herds of hundreds and thousands in your area, do not assume you will be able to access them. It is called hunting for a reason. But don’t shoot at the first thing you see either-I saw some small calves in camp that had been taken.
Regarding taking extra fuel, all in my party of 4 vehicles took extra. One vehicle had a 60-gallon tank strapped into a trailer; two trucks had (2) 55-gallon drums in the back while I had a 120-gallon tank bolted into my bed. I saw more of the same along the way.
I realize you can get fuel at Mirage and Kiski, and Nouchimi I think, but I am glad we took it as it gives more freedom. I had been told by some before hand I would not be able to get across the border with it, but chose (based on the experience of the others in my group who had been before) to do so anyway. The border folks were not even interested in the tanks, but focused on our guns and the registration of them-that form can be found at http://www.cfc-cafc.gc.ca/online-en_ligne/form-assistance/indiv_forms/909_e.asp
Secondly their (Canada) interest was in what we were bringing across, namely alcohol and tobacco.
There is some degree of confusion amongst the border guards as to what can and cannot be done. I called the US customs while at Buffalo about bringing back a caribou whole, with the head and spine. After some checking he said no problem but he wanted to check more. He called back, bring it back whole-no problem. So I did.
Tuesday when we crossed, one of the guards said the heads would have to come off, but when we got inside, I spoke with another guard and asked him about the heads and explained I had spoken with the Wildlife division within Customs, and provided whom I had spoken with. He confirmed I had spoken with the right department, and that it WAS ok to bring the caribou in whole.
My point with this is while we can be helpful to each other, confirm for yourself as rules DO change.
I asked our trip leader if I needed to take snow shoes-he said no. When I got there I wished I had them, as the snow was deep in places. Another thing to have is a warm sleeping bag as where will you go when you have to stop because of road conditions or a breakdown. A dead sled is quite nice to have also, as I used mine where a snowmobile could not have reached. They are small and will fit on a pack.
Being a first timer I started my list a few weeks out and am glad I did, as there is little I would add to it-based partly on reading this thread, common sense and the experience of others.
We also took trailers for our ATV’s. Much has been said about taking them, and if they are not sturdy trailers, leave them home. For deep snow, they can be a liability.
When I go again, if the weather is conducive to the use of my 4-wheeler, I would take the trailer again.
All in all, a good experience and I hope to do it again.
Best of luck to all who have yet to make it this year.

Old 11-22-2007, 07:10 PM

I am heading up Saturday morning with group of 4 to hunt Nov 26th-29th at the Mirage. My first trip hunting Caribou. Have most of the bulls lost their antlers at this point in time. Looks like we will be in them pretty good. Looking forward to the hunt but not the ride.
Old 11-22-2007, 07:48 PM

Fire3517 - Man thanks for those pictures , my hart is pumping and i am a year away , beleive me i want to jump in my truck and go right now .
Awsome post some more if you can!!!! if not post the same one over and over and over lol ......
Old 11-22-2007, 07:54 PM
Fork Horn

Fire3517, Those pictures are great!!!...I can not wait to get up there...Thanks for sharing.

JonBarleycorn, Thanks for the info.
Old 11-22-2007, 08:01 PM

Hi Andy hope ypur going to enjoy this site , i have been reading for a month now and seems to me like people on this site are honest and accurate, .
I wish tomorrow I would be at your door with a double cream and a road map .
Old 11-22-2007, 08:12 PM
Fork Horn

see everyone liked the pictures will post more when i get the card from the other guys all ready booked for next year the same time
Old 11-22-2007, 08:24 PM

fire 3517 ---I received an email from mirage, rather disapointing as i wanted to book our dates for next year and seeing as we are first time comers , Julie Brassard said i had to wait till feb .

How did you get in the first time, am i doing something wrong?

Old 11-22-2007, 08:30 PM

ORIGINAL: lousacs

I am heading up Saturday morning with group of 4 to hunt Nov 26th-29th at the Mirage. My first trip hunting Caribou. Have most of the bulls lost their antlers at this point in time. Looks like we will be in them pretty good. Looking forward to the hunt but not the ride.
Lousacs,
One ofour group shot a bull which lost an antler when it fell and the other when moved. That in itself is not a big deal.
I did see a number with only one antler but all in all, there were a number of bulls, and cows, with their antlers intact.
Be careful as we saw one truck on the James Bayroadwith four peoplewhich had flipped while on our way up, and one of our gang had a wreck coming back.
Enjoy!
Old 11-22-2007, 08:32 PM
Fork Horn

harness racer we have never had a problem booking the following week that we have left we have been going there for years you said that this was your first time but that still shouldn't matter i dont know why they didn't let you book for next year luc and marry anne at the lodge are really good people and we know them pretty good from all the years we have been going there try to get a hold of the lodge again and ask for next year
Old 11-22-2007, 09:05 PM

Caribou stench!

After my first caribou was shot, it wandered off across the ice and to a far shore around a point, where I could not quickly get to it. As it was late afternoon, tracking was not wise.
The next AM I found it and noted the shot had been a few inches aft of the heart, nicking the stomach in the process and allowing a small amount of contents into the cavity.
After field dressing I used snow to clean the cavity of blood and let it cool.
Before coming home I packed snow in the cavity, most of which was still there when arriving.
Upon butchering I found the meat to have a strong and unpleasant odor-so much so I wonder if it will have to be thrown away.
I can understand it being so in the abdominal cavity, but not the backstraps.
I read, here I think, about bulls sometimes having an unpleasant odor during rut and wondered if this is the case.
Or does it have something to do with the slow death and/or gut wound.
I would appreciate helpful thoughts on this and if I can salvage the meat, currently refrigerated.
BTW, wolves in the area did not damage the caribou, which makes me wonder if there was something wrong with it. Their tracks were seen around gut piles @ 300 yards away but not any tracks near my caribou.

Quick Reply: Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.