Community
Other Areas Canada, Africa, etc.

Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Old 11-16-2007, 11:28 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Whip5, I'm not sure if you're insane or incredibly tuff, but good luck to you & to all heading up!! I'm heading for NY in a few hours after a 70 hour work week. I'm ready for a hunting vacation!!! Let's all bring home big bulls like Caribou Sniper's!! I'd be proud to take one like that!!
Old 11-16-2007, 01:53 PM

Lots and lots of snow in the forecast. About 8" forecasted for tonight and tomorrow and more for the remainder of the week. Cold temps being forecasted too. Hopefully this will help make some ice on the lakes.
Old 11-16-2007, 02:06 PM
Spike

Good Luck to everyone! Leaving in 1 hour for my first trip. Thank you to everyone who helped with questions. Thanks Caribou Sniper for the pictures, although that made the nights even more sleepless from excitement.
Old 11-16-2007, 02:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

You think four guys can sleep in a truck overnight in sub zero temps and then plan on hunting the next day.
i did just that. i parked at 381 and slept in the parking lot. i got about 5 or 6 hours . not fun but it can be done. that was dec. 15 back in 2002.
Old 11-16-2007, 05:21 PM

Good news....just talked to my friend up in the area. He said they are starting to crossat km 500 and the big bulls are close behind. He told me late november is going to be a shoot, not a hunt. Granted, I am not there, but this guy has been 8 times and limited out every time....I trust his judgement. Looking good for the next 2-3 weeks. Ice is the only unknown...watch it, may be thin for the next 1-2 weeks. I am anticipating one heck of a good hunt. Keep in touch everyone. Good luck and God bless!
-Sean
Old 11-17-2007, 05:56 AM

Postponed our Hunt from last year based on info from Mirage and comments on this thread. Thanks to all for the info, last year would have been a bust for our week. Dec 4,5,,6,7. This year sounds better at his point. Only 2 weeks till we leave and starting to get amped again, We're going to the range again tomorrow to get tuned up.

There's been quite a few hunters on the site who have travelled up north and Hunted bou in the past years, does this look like a more "typical" year for the migration? The maps appear to show a different pattern than last Year.

Cheers

Surreel
Old 11-17-2007, 11:45 AM

Severe winter weather forecasted for today and tonight. Winds up to 90kph expected, cause severe blowing snow conditions. These conditions will most likely slow caribou movements.

Surreel, this year's migration appears to a more traditional pattern. Though it is definitely to the eastern extreeme. It's still early and where they head next isn't certain. I think it's very encouraging that there are initial waves showing up in huntable areas. Hopefully the main herd will follow similar routes as these initial waves. The uncertain variable is just how quickly the caribou will move through. That is what will determine how long the best hunting lasts.
Old 11-17-2007, 05:17 PM
Spike

Anyone of you ever have to leave your vehicle parked in Matagami Quebec after joining up with the rest of your hunting group to head North? I'm meeting the rest of my group in Matagami and we're staying at the Bell Matagami Motel and they don't let anyone leave their vechicles parked there because their concerned about snow removal. If anyone has left it parked there where did you park it for the 3 or 4 days while you were gone?
Old 11-17-2007, 07:21 PM

go to 357 ,they would'nt mind [on james bay road]
Old 11-17-2007, 07:39 PM

fire3517 shot both carribou today! he said they found the herd and there is thousand of them. The weather was really bad though and was hard to get to. they had to use the snowmobiles to make tracks for the truck so they could get back. People at the lodge even went to search for them because of the weather.. Be careful out there! good luck everyone

Quick Reply: Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.