Community
Other Areas Canada, Africa, etc.

Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Old 09-01-2004, 04:27 PM

Default RE: Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

ORIGINAL: TerryM
Geeez you southern boys, do you at least have long underwear?
Even in Louisiana we need long underwear in the winter, but usually only in late December through February.

Are down parkas recommended? I have a parka that's suitable for Yukon-like weather, and I plan to bring it. However, it's a little bulky, and if I find myself chasing a bull over a frozen lake for a better shot I could easily get overheated in a hurry. Pardon the dumb question, but while I haven't hunted in -30 celsius weather, I have roadmarched in the Mohave High desert in January. Very cold, and I was overheated due to the gear I carried. When we stopped I froze from my sweat. My hands became too hot from the activity, so I took my wool insulated gloves off to cool down. When I put them back on I received freezer burn on all my finger tips from the ice that formed in my sweat-laden gloves!

Kenneth Smith
Old 09-01-2004, 09:17 PM
Fork Horn

To: Ken Smith

This will be my 5th time up there. I wear moisture wicking long johns, heavy cotton cargo hunting pants and unlined carhart bibs with a heavy hunting jacket and orange vest over top. This works for me but everyone is not me. I wore insulated bibs the first time but found them too warm and bulky for walking. I wear an orange shirt under my jacket so I can take it off while dressing out an animal. You will really work up a sweat dressing out an animal no matter how cold it is and the game wardens will give you a ticket if you're in the woods without orange. I also carry a small back pack with rangefinder, camera, binocs, etc.

Dave V. Linwood, Mi.
Old 09-02-2004, 10:07 PM

Mirage is booked but....

May have two openings for the last week of November to the first week of December. I haven't cancelled our trip as of yet but our main camerman (the one who's name is on the invoice), has to go in for surgery. He's been waiting a while.

If anyone wants to take our place let us know.
Old 09-13-2004, 10:53 AM

ORIGINAL: got a hunch

To: Ken Smith
[............]
I wear an orange shirt under my jacket so I can take it off while dressing out an animal. You will really work up a sweat dressing out an animal no matter how cold it is and the game wardens will give you a ticket if you're in the woods without orange. I also carry a small back pack with rangefinder, camera, binocs, etc.
Dave, that is very good advice for those of us unfamiliar with how the Canadian game wardens operate. So I plan to do the same and ensure that I have orange on at all times, including when I am peeling off outer wear to prepare for field dressing the animal (it's a done deal....one shot, one kill) then dragging him back to the road.

Thanks for the heads-up!

Kenneth
Monroe, Louisiana
Old 09-13-2004, 01:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

New question guys: Looking at some maps, the quality aint good, and the brochure put out by Quebec makes me wonder if Nouchimi and Mirage are actually in the area we can hunt as non-residents or do we have to drive some each day and if so does anyone know how far to get to the hunting area?
Old 09-14-2004, 01:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Mirage is inside the hunting zone. Donat Flamand is inside the hunting zone. Nouchimi is not, they are around 15 minutes drive outside the zone.
Old 09-14-2004, 02:10 PM

Is Donat Asselin in the hunting zone? THANKS!!!
Old 09-14-2004, 07:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sorry, I meantDonat asselin. Yes he is in the zone. Only Nouchimi is outside.
Old 09-15-2004, 01:04 PM

I was thinking of renting a 4 x 4 suburaban or expedition in Montreal to go up in November. Does anyone know of a place where I could rent one? I think my mini-van may not be a good idea based on the posts I have read.
Old 09-15-2004, 02:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

A full size 4x4 pickup truck would be the best vehicle. You have to think of the logistics of bringing back 2 bulls per hunter. They are bigger than a whitetail, usually around 275 lbs live.

Quick Reply: Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.