Community
Other Areas Canada, Africa, etc.

Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Old 11-12-2007, 08:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Liquidorange; It's all about timing. I have gone and only seen a few animals a day. I have gone and seen a hundred a day. Then there are those miracle times, when I have been in a sea of caribou and have easily seen ten thousand in a day. No one can predict the timing. No one can predict the weather, which can have a dramatic impact on the caribou.
i have been there 2x-s winter hunting in case you havent read any of the back pages. i have never met a hunter thsat has hunted end of november into december that has seen 5- 10,000 animals in one day unless they were in the air .even with great numbers small bands of a dozen or less all day long dont add up to 10,000 bou. when some one makes big claims i get suspicious. i get the feeling there are some workers for the outfitters on these forums and things can get pumped up. i just like to keep things in check. yes you can go home without seeing one caribou been there done that. at least these days you can track the migration on your own instead of relying on lies from the outfitters. they want hunters up there no matter what. bottom line they have to sell fuel,food supplies and fill bunks to make money.
Old 11-12-2007, 10:25 AM
Fork Horn

I agree with how it has all been in the past 3-4 years. Believe me -whenyou hitthe migration you will see 5-10K animals pass by you as you sit and watch. The ground looks10snow groomerswent by side by side and it is truely amazing.

Migration has been the problem and this is why I like this years movement so much - it is much like yearspast when youcould see thousands. My group has been going since 1998 andseeingthe videos of LA1 and Laforge is what go me going.The past3 yearseveryone has been askingwhere arethe animalsand it is all due to the westerly migration.While we are all wondering why this is happening - global warming, herd size, Kisk planting a lodge right in the main path,all have nothign to do with it. The indians tellme that the animals use the same migration trails they have used for thousands of years - problem being that they have many different routes they use dependingon food. These trails are anywhere from Lat -68 to the bayand as you can see from todays map, they are hugging Caniapiscau and will be turning right down theLA2Valley, justlike many times before.

You put yourself there in aweek and you will see steady animal for 20 days straight comming through, hooking back up and around all looking for food. How would an 850K animal migration look? It is am amazing site and we should all thank the good Lord we have the money, the time and heatlh to get up top and see this marvel for ourselves.

Happy hunting and I hope you are going up in the next 20 days or so....

Old 11-12-2007, 11:54 AM

Maps are in. Looks like the main group is about 300K northeast of Mirage with some from the George River Herd coming over to join them.
Old 11-12-2007, 01:14 PM

Hi Guys:

I hunted up a Laforge 1 last year for the first time and we did very well, it appears that the bulk of the caribou herd will be hitting the trans taiga well east ofMirage on the Trans Taigabetween the 550 and 660km mark. The question I have is can you drive all the way to the end of the road if need be ordoes the winter maintenance stop at some point. Can you also drive north to Laforge 2 or do you need a skidoo. Given the currentmap would you recommend just a pickup truckor do you think people should bring snow machines.
Old 11-12-2007, 05:38 PM
Fork Horn

Liquid-O is right on. I've been giong since 2000 and have seen it go in many different directions with last year being the most extreme. We have hunted as far east as K520 and all the way to the end of the road past Kisk. When they are moving through you can literally sit and watch them for hours. One time we watched from above LA1 dam while they came across the res. for hours. Several thousand animals crossed that day. We sat and watched and took pictures and video since we had filled our tags the day before. Hopefully they will spread out and move through in a gradual migration instead of all at once and be done in ten days.
Old 11-12-2007, 07:26 PM

The herd is bunched up very tight. Too tightly in my opinion. Hope they stall and start to string out before crossing the road. The weather forecast is for mild temps early this week steadily dropping to frigid temps for the next two weeks.
Old 11-13-2007, 06:24 AM
Fork Horn

Does anyone know about how much snow is on the ground right now?
Old 11-13-2007, 06:00 PM
Fork Horn

It all melted. Not to worry more on the way.
Old 11-13-2007, 06:39 PM
Fork Horn

This is fire3517 's wife andhe is up at the mirrage. He said there is about two feet of snow up there.
Old 11-13-2007, 07:08 PM

Mrs. Fire; Did Mr. Fire say if he had seen any caribou? And if so where and in what kind of numbers?

Thanks, JR

Quick Reply: Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.