Community
Other Areas Canada, Africa, etc.

Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Old 11-07-2007, 09:56 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

DARKSIDE55 i hear you there we flew out two years ago and it was very expensive and really dont want to do it again i understand where you are comming from
Old 11-07-2007, 11:50 AM
Fork Horn

This is my first caribou hunt. However, this is not my first time dealing with a government orginization that has private interest pressuring them.

Logically it appears that they are holding the release of the map so that travelers will not be able to judge for themselves if it is worth going or not. in addition the lodges book to capacity and allowing hunter to postpone until the bou ar ethere is not a viable or profitable choice. I am sure that the board of tourism can tell you how much revenue will be lost if the hunters stopped going when teh bou arent there.

It seems strange to me that the other maps( at least as long as I have been paying attention) came out wihtout a hitch and now there are technical issues. It seems a bit planned to me.

I may be a skeptical person but to be honest I just wanted to see the map. Unfortunatley even if the map is released I am not holding my breath for anyhting positive out of it.

Old 11-07-2007, 04:05 PM

B&C, I have been watching these maps for over 8 years. Long before they were posted on the internet to the public. This is the first time I have seen this happen. However, it is not the first time the Caribou may not be cooperating with the hunters or oufitters. i do not believe there is any conspiracy between the government and the outfitters. The good outfitters will call and let you know that the Caribou are not to the road before you leave for your hunt. From the intel I have been getting, it looks like everything should be fine; even for the opener. I see your going on the 25th, I'm going on the 27th. So we will be there at the same time and I'm not worried at all.
Old 11-07-2007, 04:06 PM
Spike

My brother who is the group leader for our 2 man group called last week to Kisk when i showed him the bad news on the map. No one was at the camp, so they weren't sure of what was going on.He was told they would call him back yesterday, otherwise he was to call them today. i told him last night that there was no way they would call since they had no map either. Today he called Kisk againand they said they have people at the camp and that they are seeing caribou there now and that there are no cancellations at this time. They will call back if that changes. Hope the map comes through soon with a little good news.
Old 11-07-2007, 05:06 PM
Fork Horn

bob in pa is the Kisk camp your talking about the one on laforge 1 kiskimstakin?
Old 11-07-2007, 05:27 PM
Fork Horn

Relax everybody, they are southbound in a big way. The early guys might have a tough time but after that it will just get better.
Old 11-07-2007, 05:48 PM
Spike

It's too bad the individual outfitter's don't have their own weekly reports of caribou observations posted on their websites.
Old 11-07-2007, 05:50 PM
Fork Horn

Nodding in agreement....

I am only worried they will move too fast and get below since my group has 3 weeks. Mirage is seeing animals via plane and they are as far south as just above Bieneville and east - but the mass is still north but moving south. Kisk says they are also seeing animals on LA1 comming from the east which is another good sign for at least some of the heard keeping east in 22B.

Winter opening will have some good opportunities - big bulls lead the pack. The heard mass is large and covers quite an area as compared just to 2005 - nearly 300K more animals so just image the browsing and moving to find food. Laforge will be over-loaded for at least a 15 day run and then many pods for the December hunters. They have also been splitting due to the size, so we may see a couple of pushed south from opening into mid December.

How about those years with no maps, less stress and all was hutning as usual. Keep the faith and plan for a great hunt.

Cheers Mates!

Old 11-07-2007, 06:03 PM
Fork Horn

Nord Qu Bouman did the mirage say if all the lakes and resivors were frozen yet?
Old 11-07-2007, 06:18 PM
Fork Horn

Smaller ponds are freezing but moving water is open and the res. are open, but beginning to show and keep ice. Daytime is right around freezing and nights are around -10C (14F). Forecast is for maintaining -3C or lessdaytime which will begin to freeze the res. Snow is not melting so this is a good sigh as well - colder the ground is the better for colder air. Not much snow but is it a cover.

Quick Reply: Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.