Community
Other Areas Canada, Africa, etc.

Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Old 11-02-2007, 05:20 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Thanks, I went to Donat acouple years ago. Go shut out. The caribou went above LaForge 1 & the only ones were getting taken via the helicopter with Mirage. About a week after we left they came across. Hope you hit the migration. CB
Old 11-03-2007, 11:25 AM

I've been reading through lot of the posts in this forum to get myself psyched up for another upcoming Caribou hunt. This will be my 4th time. I always enjoy taking new people on these trips with me. It reminds those of us who have made the trip a few times of our own first time. It also helps remind us of how big a driving trip this is. But I have noticed some of those that have not been are not really listening to some of the advice that has been given over and over throughout this forum. Take note, I'm not bringing these things up to be an "arse", but I would rather hear that we all had successful, uneventful trips.

I absolutely discourage anyone from taking a trailer; of any kind or size. The first time we went we took a 20' equipment trailer. It certainlly gave us plenty of room for gear and caribou on the ride home. We didn't have any issues, but the trailer took a serious beating and it was a very heavy duty trailer. I have seen too many trailers abandoned on the side of the road. I have had friends total $10,000 enclosed trailers. I'm sure this may come across a bit strong, but being broken down in James Bay is a bad senerio and the road conditions are never ideal. I wanted to bring this up now, while there is still time to make plans. I don't know many veterans who take trailers. That should mean something to those of you concidering a trailer.

That being said, a snowmobile rental is a better choice than bringing your own. If you are hunting the first two weeks of the season, you may not need a snowmobile at all. The rental outfits don't typically take deposits on snowmobile reservations before Dec 1st. The first two weeks in Dec; one sled per party should be enough to drag animals back to the road. The Tundra sleds are unstoppable in the conditions up there. A pull sled is an viable option, but after all the money it costs to get there; what is another $100/man to not break your back dragging all those caribou uphill. Trust me; almost all of them will need to be dragged uphill.

Caribou are easy to kill. We have always filled all of the tags in our parties. I have personally dropped seven caribou with one shot each. None have run more than a few yards. We have used everything from .270 to .300 mags. Typical shots won't be more than 200 yards. If you can shoot 300 yards you can take almost anything you want.

Lastly, driving conditions are typically poor. If you aren't prepared for the worst, you will likely regret it. Everytime we go we assist poeople who have gotten off the road and are stuck. It can and may happen to any of us. I always stop to help others and I encourage others to do the same. I live in the snowbelt in upstate new york; I know what poor driving conditions are. We all want to make it there and back without incident. Be a courteous driver; if someone is traveling faster than you are, please move to the right when it is safe and let them go past. It is best for all parties involved. A bad pass can be bad for everyone. Drive safe; drive smart. I've found that most folks are using radios while traveling. If you stay on an open channel and scan channels; it is likely that you can communicate with other drivers.

I hope this won't be taken wrong. It is obviously one persons advice. Hopefully others who have experience will find it sound and will comment.

Happy hunting to all.

JR
Old 11-04-2007, 09:13 AM
Fork Horn

And good advice it is Sniper. This will be my 8th year in a row. Took a trailer the first time without major incident, only a flat tire, but it's just one more thing that you can have problems with. Made a home made rack the next year and modified it a little the next couple of years. Bought an old pick-up cap last year just for hunting and it worked out ok but may add either a carrier to the top of it or ahitch carrier. I have a crew cab chevy that hauls three of us and our gear. It's a little tight but we have a system.Minimum equipmentshould includea good heavy duty tow strap, spare serpentine belt, 10-15 gallons ofextra fuel,extra fuel filter for diesels, good spare tire, small tool kit, first aid kit, good flashlight with spare batteries (cyalume light sticks work well and don't take up much room), a come-a-long isn't a bad idea either. Think about anything you might need, lay it out, look at it anddecide. I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.The nearest tow truck is several hundred miles away and parts are hard to come by.Raidios are a good idea. We use them all the time, even when driving. We usuallually have6 to 10 vehiclesin our group and it's nice to know where we're all at. Be careful, be safe and look for big bulls. Good luck to all.
Old 11-05-2007, 05:52 AM
Fork Horn

I completely agree with you guys on the trailer issue, but do to my vehicle status, I have no choice for space. I will need to take a small 4 x 8 utility trailer to get my bou home!! I am taking 2 spare tires & a spare hub assembly. We are also giving ourselves 3 days to travel (leaving from central pa). This week I'm picking up an extra set of wiper blades, serpentine belt, fluids, etc. for my vehicle. Is there anything else I should be considering? It has 75% tread on tires, new battery, & I'll change oil before I leave and use a lighter weight oil also. The only thing I'm missing is a set of chains for "just in case" scenarios.

You are right Darkside...I am very excited about this trip!! I've waited soooooo long & I've read and talked to so many about it! I am really hoping to see some southward movements from those dots today! And yes, several items are still packed from November of 06!! LOL

Luckily I have a few things lined up over the next 2 weeks to keep my mind pre-occupied...sort of!!
Old 11-05-2007, 08:11 AM
Fork Horn

Oh my friend BKMSTR!! I've seen the map. And those caribou need a compass. Man they are going the WRONG way. But you know what they say..."Absence makes the heart grow fonder". Or..."Out of sight, out of mind". So to speak.
Old 11-05-2007, 08:53 AM
Fork Horn

Where have you seen the map already?!? I've been checking all morning for it.
Old 11-05-2007, 09:05 AM
Fork Horn

http://www.mrnf.gouv.qc.ca/english/wildlife/maps-caribou/pdf/Map_071029_E.pdf

Right there BKMSTR.
Old 11-05-2007, 09:07 AM
Fork Horn

Here is the link to all the maps.

http://www.mrnf.gouv.qc.ca/english/wildlife/maps-caribou/

Old 11-05-2007, 09:08 AM
Fork Horn

That map came out last week! Yes, it is very discouraging. I want to see the next map!

They normally do the maps monday - monday. So the next map should be out later today or first thing tomorrow morning. The next map should be Oct 29th - Nov 5th. This is the map I am interested in as it should show some movements to the south with that cold snap they had up your way last week. According to what forcasts I can find, you should be getting even colder weather this week and that could get them moving south. They still have 2 1/2 weeks to get there & it could happen!
Old 11-05-2007, 10:48 AM
Fork Horn

Do not worry - you will see a good move down in tommorrows map as you can see the lead animals that drove north are now moving down in last weeks map. 200KM in a week is nothing for these animals and I predict wre will see them back down in Bieneville in the 05 NOV release. Hope they stick east to really saturate the LA1 and LA2 areas. Center of the herd @ 56/71 ish is what I think we will see.

Do not want them too far south 10 days before opening. Last year they were below 56 along the coast at this time so we cannot loose. It has been snowing steady and the ponds are freezing which will send them down. Has not gotton above 0C at LA1 in the past week and up at p58 it has been -10C at night.

Quick Reply: Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.