Community
Other Areas Canada, Africa, etc.

Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Old 10-21-2007, 12:43 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

My in-laws have been up severl times and from what they've told me in preperation for this trip, this is good advice! You can download the form you need to cross the border with guns on the customs website & you are allowed to register several guns (I believe 3) for the fee of $25.00. If I were you, I would bring a rifle & shotgun & download that form ahead of time and have it filled out. You will need 3 copies of it filled out.

You will not get across the border with that external gas tank being checked!!! If you can prove it is empty, they may be ok with it. I know some people who had more then 15gal and were forced to get rid of it before crossing the border.

Good luck! Only 4 weeks to go for me!! Anyone going to be a Kisk... on Nov 22 - 26?
Old 10-22-2007, 07:06 AM
Spike

30 days left. I'll be up at Mirage from 26th to 29th of November if anyone is there look me up and we'll sit at the bar and drink some beers. I'll be with a group of 5 other guys from Ontario. Just ask for Luke. By the looks of the map there's going to be alot of animals to pick from. I guess I'll have to buy small game licence and chase after some ptarmigan if I tag out early. Just came back from 2 days of grouse and moose hunting and we did well.No moose, butwe got a mixed bag 23 of Spruce and Ruffed Grouse. Weather was unusually warm this week end (20.0 C) and the blackflies were out so I can see why the caribou moved back North again.

Later
Old 10-22-2007, 06:58 PM

Look at that map!! going north hard. Still looking pretty good for us late season folks. Anyone heading to Mirage Dec 6th-9th?
Old 10-23-2007, 06:50 PM
Fork Horn

They moved up there in two weeks...they can move back down in 2 weeks. I'm still optomistic. All we need is a little cold air from old man winter and they'll be high tailing in south!! Temps in PA are starting to finally drop. Next week they want high's in the 50's. I hope that filters north too!
Old 10-24-2007, 09:02 AM
Fork Horn

Hey BK. We got flurries this morning. Long range forcast is cooler but up and down from freezing to 3 or 4 degrees above or below that.
Old 10-24-2007, 09:16 AM

BKMSTR--where are you located in central pennsy? I hunt out of snowshoe -out route 144 in game lands 100. e-mail me at [email protected]

maybe we could get together for a coffee!!
Old 10-25-2007, 08:26 AM
Fork Horn

"We got flurries this morning." - That might convince some of the wussy ones to start heading south!! LOL

I'm really hoping the next map shows some movement south. With only 26 days to go...they need to start moving in that direction soon!! The bow is tuned in at 40yds, my .308 is sited and ready and my boots are packed!! I'm ready!

cdhunt - I live right near Middleburg, PA 17842. I don't hunt the game lands too much since I have about 100 acres of ground right behind my house to hunt. Our family has been hunting those grounds for years and I consider it my backyard! My son shot his first deer on Saturday! That was the last day of the Junior Doe Season. This is his second year hunting. last year he missed two and this year he missed one before finally connecting. What a great day for father & son! A perfect start to a great hunting season!!
It would be great to hookup for coffee sometime! I never turn down coffee with a fellow hunter! :-)
Old 10-25-2007, 10:00 AM

Could anyone tell me what the laws are on bringing the meat and headback to the U.S. -- Also,does the caliber of your rifle have to be stamped on the barrel to be legal? Thanks
Old 10-25-2007, 10:48 AM
Fork Horn

Right now there is no problem with bringing any game animal back to the US from here. My guys are doing it as we speak. In order to register a gun to bring into Canada, you must have the make, model and serial number and calibur somewhere on the gun. If the calibur is not on the barrel maybe it's somewhere else. If the guys at the border cannot readily identfy the gun you are registering on the form, they won't let you bring it across.
Old 10-25-2007, 11:08 AM
Fork Horn

Good advice from Darkside55 - make sure your gun is clean record wise also. Ifyou brought is second hand I would contact the FBI via a local gun dealer to make sure it is clean - the border cops use the same system at the US ATF department. If it comes up a problem, and many due, they can hold you for many hours and will not let the gun in CAN. It had happened toone of our guys some years ago and it is not uncommon in the private sale rifle.

Goodluck and I hope you and your group have a great time!

Quick Reply: Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.