Community
Other Areas Canada, Africa, etc.

Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Old 10-16-2007, 09:27 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Migration

Yeah, but I saw them do this last year and then all of the sudden some cow decided to kick it into high gear and start heading south and they all followed close at her heels!! They didn't stop till they hit K381!! In comparison to last years maps, I am still very encouraged about this year!! I would much rather see them above the road then below!! We still have a little over a month to go and they've already proved they can travel great distances in a weeks time!
Old 10-16-2007, 05:40 PM
Fork Horn

The big difference is the eastern heading. This last map is very good - theu have already defined the south passage and will head right back into Laforge as soon as the weather turns. It was 50F today in Laforge and this is not going to move them south and I think they realized it. They like to havethe water hard and when they hit all the pondsin the LaGrandethey turn back up. All are heading into SouthLRV nowwhich is a good sign. I think and would bet thatthey are going to come east of Laforge up to the big burned outarea from 2004 around K450TTR. This will be good for hte road hunting both in Laforge and TTR.Last year they also tunred but it was up along the bay right to the east shore that broughtthem into Bourassa Res. Not this year - the lodges are also seeing some animals far up top ~ p55 so opening day should be ok as well. The thing that is good for the eastern path for the later hunters is that they tend to hang below just below Mirage and TTR east - even in cold weather.

Old 10-17-2007, 09:51 AM
Fork Horn

Good morning everybody...

BK, there's lots of ptarmigan up here. We haven't had the cold weather to get them moving. And there's no need for them to come to the road. They can feed in the bush still. I know your pulse rate must have climbed when you saw that last map but they follow the weather patterns. And our forcast for the next couple of weeks is way above normal temperatures. The caribou can swim almost as good as a Dolphin..LOL..but they tend to shy away from fast moving water. In my opinion, this years hunt is going to be one of two things. The best in years or the worst. And it will all depend on the temperature here.

Old 10-17-2007, 07:12 PM
Fork Horn

Darkside55, it is always good to hear from you. I thought maybe you forgot about us caribou fanatics!! How was/is the moose hunting? Any good pics in another forum I should look for?
Old 10-19-2007, 07:23 AM
Spike

Hi guys reading the posts getting excited. 37 days and counting hoping the bou co-operate.
Old 10-19-2007, 09:00 AM
Fork Horn

The moose hunting's been going great. I posted a couple of pics for you in another thread.

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=2391403
Old 10-20-2007, 09:37 PM

Default RE: Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

ORIGINAL: bob in pa

Thank you everyone for the advice! Is anyone else going to Kisk for November 15 or am I the only fool who took an early date?
Bob,
You will have company, as I am headed up with a group in that same time frame to Kiskimaastakin.
It was a last minute invitation for me (two weeks ago), so I am quickly trying to get up to speed as this is a first for me.

I do have questions for whomever can givegood answers.

I understand some, or all of the guys, are taking ATV's as they have used them in the past. I have seen no mention about them at all in this thread so am left to wonder what use they would be.
Can they be used to access the road north of Kiski, or are they illegal to drive on the roads?
Also, I understand the non-resident hunting is all north of 55 north. If that is correct, it seems a fair drive up LA-1, or beyond, to reach that point. Can anyone clarify that for me?
Being optimistic about a full hunt, I will likely alsobring my 870 with two barrels (slug and shot) so as to have the ability to hunt ptarmigan, as well. I know the .243 is the smallest rifle, but is slug hunting allowed? I did see a mention of #4 shot so will stock up on that.
Does a plug need to be used? I guess I can throw it in just in case.
I read a mention of extra fuel but only 15 gallons extra was allowed. Is that in jugs only? Or would my 100 gallon external mounted tank fall in that category?

Thanks for helping thenew guy!

Old 10-21-2007, 07:44 AM
Fork Horn

I like the look of the migration map so far. If they stay north it might be tough on the early hunters but good for the end of November and through Dec. It's got to be better than last year. My hunting partner just returned from a fly-in with Luco. He said they sawa lot of animals but they didn't seem to be on any great mission to migrate south yet. That's a good thing. Hopefully they'll come through gradually and farther east than last year. Arriving at Mirage Nov. 30. Good luck to all.

Old 10-21-2007, 08:17 AM
Spike

Default RE: JonBarleycorn

jon glad to hear you will be there when i am. if the caribou don'tturn around perhaps we won't be there. if we are i will be driving a 2-tone turquoise and white dodge truck if you want to look me up. i am also a 1st timer, but i am not aware of having to be north of the 55th parallel to hunt as a nonresident. i think that has to do with area 22A which is west of the nonresident zone.
Old 10-21-2007, 08:51 AM
Fork Horn

I understand some, or all of the guys, are taking ATV's as they have used them in the past. I have seen no mention about them at all in this thread so am left to wonder what use they would be.
Can they be used to access the road north of Kiski, or are they illegal to drive on the roads?
Also, I understand the non-resident hunting is all north of 55 north. If that is correct, it seems a fair drive up LA-1, or beyond, to reach that point. Can anyone clarify that for me?
Being optimistic about a full hunt, I will likely alsobring my 870 with two barrels (slug and shot) so as to have the ability to hunt ptarmigan, as well. I know the .243 is the smallest rifle, but is slug hunting allowed? I did see a mention of #4 shot so will stock up on that.
Does a plug need to be used? I guess I can throw it in just in case.
I read a mention of extra fuel but only 15 gallons extra was allowed. Is that in jugs only? Or would my 100 gallon external mounted tank fall in that category?

I've been hunting caribou a good many years. I've never seen an ATV. In my opinion it would be totally useless. That road is all gravel and snow and ice packed most of the time. They're legal to ride as long as you have a helmet and insurance. But they're the last thing I'd want to be on, when one of the Hydro trucks meet you doing 60 miles an hour.

As far as where as non-residents can hunt...that starts about 2 or 3 kilometers before the Mirage and goes about 250 km. There are no trails here for an ATV. And you can hunt north and south of the Trans-taiga a lot farther than you can walk or ride.

If you are using a shotgun, yes you need a plug...3 shots max allowed. But you could be in trouble if you have to make a long shot. You could shoot 20 yds. or 200. I've never seen anybody use a slug but there's nothing in the Regs that say you can't. At least that I can find.

I believe you are only allowed to bring 15 gallons of gas across the border. An an external tank would be a dead give away. I have taken 3, 5 gal.jerry cans with me every year and have yet to use one. They're for emergencys. Using common sense with your gas situation will keep you out of trouble. When you get half empty, fill up. Don't wait till you are running on empty.

The long and short of it is, for me anyway....
1. No ATV
2. No shotgun, rifle only for caribou
3. 15 gallons of gas

Good luck and have a safe hunt.

Quick Reply: Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.