Community
Other Areas Canada, Africa, etc.

Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Old 09-10-2007, 06:24 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

This just in... The bou are on the move!! Comparing their movements to last year, they are just north of where they were last year at this time! The number of radio collared animals this year seems much higher then last year. You wouldn't think a bunch of green squares on a map could get one's heart rate up so much...but it sure does mine!
Old 09-10-2007, 10:18 AM
Fork Horn

I can't agree more and I am ready to jump in my truck and leave now!
Old 09-10-2007, 12:43 PM
Fork Horn

Quick question about tires... I read someplace that you should have load range D truck tires with 75% tread on them to travel this road... I have Good Year Wrangler RT/S tires with about 40% tread left on them. I also have a set of chains in case I need them. Should I consider replacing my tires to better/newer tires? Anyone have a lot of problems with tires?
Old 09-10-2007, 07:38 PM

Hi guys. I've been reading your threads for almost a month. I think this is a very good site with alot of info. Planning a trip for 2008 late Nov.

Old 09-12-2007, 05:35 AM

bkmstr,im from chester county pa. we hunted last year dec. 5 it snowed
about 2 inches every day . i put on brand new goodyear silent armours and im glad i did . they stuck to the ice real good. by all means get new tires. your talking 250 miles or more of ice coverd road it was alot less stresful knowing i had new tires.
Old 09-12-2007, 10:27 AM
Fork Horn

What I had heard years back was to make sure you had a good 6 ply minimum tire. What I see after going a few times is thatthe James Bay Road is decentand the Taiga Road is covered with icethat they groove for traction.I see more a needfor good tread when you can get hit with some heavy snow. Last year on the wayaccross the Taiga we had about 10"-12" on the road and it was snowingheavy the entire way. I was thankful to have an aggressive tread - and rememeber comming out you will have another 12-1500lbsof Leaf River'sBestand this is where you need some traction. Also if you go up top (LA1/LA2) the roads can be bad and if you slide off - well, we spend some time every year helping to pull folks out and the road just drops to no where.

I would look for at least a .75 to 1" of tread - but is you have older tires a blowout can wreck your trip. Tires with alot of miles, no matter what Goodyear tells you, get fatigued and have a potential for more than 1 blow out. If I was going with a high mile tire, I would bring at least 2 spares - the closest you will get to a mechanic that even knows enough to laugh at you is Raddison. I think a guy paid 400$ for a tire that he had to get from Raddision to Mirage a couple of years ago, and that was because a driver was going there for parts.

Could be less a problem to get some tires on 1-2 months before heading to get some road on them. This is not a place you want to get stuck at.
Old 09-12-2007, 10:29 AM
Fork Horn

BKMSTR - Also watch the chains - they are not legal up there. If you get stuck you can use them to get out, but don't run with them - $$$.
Old 09-13-2007, 08:49 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the info. I think I'll put some new treads on before I leave. I bought some class C tires for my wife's Durango that were aftermarket tires by wheel-trac and they have worked great for her in the snow. They have a thick sidewall, 3/4" deep treads & a good aggresive tread on them. I think I'll get a set of 4 of those for my truck!!
Old 09-13-2007, 10:33 PM
Spike

I'm going up there for the hunt on November 26th this fall. If any of you have hunted the ptarmagins what fiream did you use? I was thinking of a .22 cause I hear they don't flush until you get right on top of them, but I like the idea of wing shooting with the 20 gauge pump.
Old 09-14-2007, 07:33 AM
Fork Horn

Yes I've hunted them lots. 12 ga. shotgun, #4 shot.

Quick Reply: Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.