Community
Other Areas Canada, Africa, etc.

Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Old 09-03-2007, 07:35 AM
Spike

Default RE: Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

In 2003 my brother, nephew, and I went to Sept-tiles and from there by train to Schefferville. That year there were restrictions by the US on bringing meat back home. No heads, brain matter, etc. were allowed due to CWD. (chronic wasting disease) We had to stop at the border to have our meat checked, and fortunately when thelady saw that we were going to have to empty half the truck to get to the meat she let us go. (we were legal) After reading this whole thread, and checking some other sites I have not found anything about this. Is it safe to assume that the restrictions have been lifted?
Old 09-03-2007, 09:42 AM
Spike

Hi Bob,

I think the rules change year to year. In 04 it was like you were saying no brains, organs, etc. We were sent back into Canada at Sault Ste. Marie, to take the eyebals out of our cut skulls for European mounts.

In 06 we brought back all 8 animals whole with no problems. Which should be the case this year. But you should check with USDA at border.

Regards, CW
Old 09-04-2007, 06:43 AM
Fork Horn

There is no problems right now. My guys are crossing with the bears.
Old 09-04-2007, 09:06 PM
Spike

Darkside: Bears were never an issue. it was just ungulates if i havethat spelled right. deer, moose, elk, antelope, and caribou. bob
Old 09-05-2007, 05:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

bob, are you sure it was because of CWD, or could it have been because of the mad cow disease scare? Alot of restrictions came into effect when a single case of mad cow was discovered in Canada, we don't have alot of CWD to export.
Cows are crossing the border again, (alive and dead) so its probably no longer an issue.
Old 09-05-2007, 07:35 PM
Spike

tschaef: i think you may be right. it's been long enough that i am not sure if cwd and mad cow may be one and the same??
Old 09-06-2007, 08:10 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: bob in pa

tschaef: i think you may be right. it's been long enough that i am not sure if cwd and mad cow may be one and the same??

Yes you are right. CWD and mad cow are the same thing. That ban was only on for about 6 months or so last year. And it didn't include bears, only clovis animals, which are animals with hooves. Which included sheep, goats, rams, etc. The only reason I mentioned the bear and I forgot to tell the whole story was this. Two of my bear hunters were also moose hunting with their 2007 F250 Ford, LOL. And they got one. And they took it home to the US with no problems. As far as that goes so did all my hunters last year. By October that ban was long removed.
Old 09-06-2007, 10:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Darkside, are you sure CWD and mad cow are the same thing?

If so I'm a little perturbed that our whole countries beef industry was hammered so hard by export restrictions (because of 1-2 mad cow cases) while the states has many issues w/ cwd.
I'll google it when I get home from work, but I think they are different, remember that Britain basically destroyed all of their cattle herds when mad cow was discovered, no-one is talking that tough about deer herds containing cwd in the states.
I do know that the MNR asked for skulls for testing here in Ontario last year, but I don't think we are considered a problem area by anyones standards.
Old 09-06-2007, 07:56 PM

BKMSTR I am driving from York PA to pick up my friend that now lives in Rochester NY and then on up.
Old 09-07-2007, 11:07 AM
Fork Horn

What is Chronic Wasting Disease (CWD)?
CWD is a neurological (brain and nervous system) disease
found in deer, elk and moose (collectively referred to as
cervids) in certain geographical locations in North America.
The disease belongs to a family of diseases known as transmissible
spongiform encephalopathies (TSE) or prion diseases.
CWD attacks the brains of infected cervids and is always fatal.
Though CWD is similar to mad cow disease in cattle and
scrapie in sheep, there is no known relationship between
CWD and any other TSE found in animals or humans.

I did a little research and yes while they are similar like the article above says, they are not exactly the same. I jumped the gun and I'm sorry about that.

Quick Reply: Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.