Community
Other Areas Canada, Africa, etc.

Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Old 06-24-2007, 07:57 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

From the opening of season, Nov. 15, if you are not driving up and back, forget it. You can fly split racks back anytime. And yeah, check them in as bagage. But the nearest airport is 300 miles away. Like I said, if you can't drive up and back, don't bother coming. And bringing a 2 wheel drive at that time of year is like playing Russian Roulet.
Old 06-25-2007, 09:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Holy crap....my eyes are about ready to fall out of my head!!! This is THE BEST THREAD EVER!!! You guys are AWESOME! There is soooo much information on here that I know I never would have gotten otherwise! I feel like my head is ready to pop! lol

Old 06-27-2007, 04:40 AM
Fork Horn

The winter hunt is a drive up deal unless you are independently wealthy and have your own aircraft. The important thing is being prepaired. Make sure your truck is in good condition, tires, battery, tow strap come-along, dry gas, toolbox, etc........ The drive is long and can be a bit treacherous but common sense and preparation make the difference. It gets you a lot farther than careless and stupid, and believe meI have seen a lot of stupid in sevenyears. It is also not a good time to break in a new hunting partner. Go with someone you know and have hunted with before and can depend onso you know what to expect.
Old 06-28-2007, 08:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

How many bottles of dry gas should be taken? Also, how many 5 gal. gas cans?
Old 06-28-2007, 10:47 AM
Fork Horn

I drop one in each tank of gas - takes me 10 tanks of gas RT from NH. I also take 2 5G cans of gas but Ireally do not need them and are for an emergency.In2004 we drove all the way out toK595TTR after going up top above LA1 - needed a splash to make it back to Mirage.If you have a 300+ mile range you should make it between all the stops and have a good huntingrange from the lodge. I recommendbetween 5 and 10G reserveat all times and don't forget to split some DG in these cans.

One thing isalso don't bring too much - its not a camping tripand I see alot of guys are loaded withalot of extra junk they will never need. Bringthe basic emergency stuffand what you need for your lodge. I will likely have 4 or so spots for 30 NOV @ Mirgae if you want to get a spot let me know.
Old 06-28-2007, 01:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

I won't be going up this year. I have other obligations/hunts that have taken up my time off of work. I was wanting to go up next year. I like to prepare at least a year ahead, so I have the details nailed down.

Are chains required and if not, should I take some along anyway?

Thanks!!
Old 06-28-2007, 05:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

There are some good hills and the road does get icy, but its cleared often. If you have 4wd you will get thru, but you may have to slow down and take it easy. Also, watch out for the locals, they like to run the road in front of you and slow you down.

Old 06-28-2007, 06:08 PM
Fork Horn

Hey!!! You are really Santa...

Great shot of what you hope to see past LG3 and not before!

MONIE - Tire chains are not allowed - although, if you had the ice on the Taiga Road like my brother in law did 2 years back - I do not think any one will argue with you. Roards are not bad - just stay on them the shoulder is no where.
Old 06-28-2007, 09:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Do they at least allow studs?
Old 06-29-2007, 07:59 AM
Fork Horn

No chains or studs are allowed in most provinces here. You can put studs on your snowmobile track...LOL.

Quick Reply: Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.