Community
Other Areas Canada, Africa, etc.

Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Old 05-16-2007, 09:26 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Darkside, I've heard reports of possibly expanding the nonresident hunting zone to help accomodate for the different migration pattern. Have you heard anything about this? Is it rumor or is there some possible truth to it? The reasoning (so I heard) was do to the large size of the herd and the small kill numbers the past two years.
Spring Gobbler season in PA was a success for my son. He bagged a bird on the opening day! My daughter also had action, just didn't walk away as successful. Now the long summer of waiting begins!!
Old 05-19-2007, 07:42 PM
Fork Horn

Covert operations can be a good thing.
Old 05-19-2007, 07:48 PM
Fork Horn

You gotta love those spies. Promise that young stud many primier cows for his harem. Also tell him to identify himself well so we don't shoot himso we can get a few more years out of him. Ask him to direct the herd to migrate about a hundred and fifty miles to the east from last year.
Old 05-23-2007, 05:51 PM
Fork Horn

Hey BKMSTR...

Sorry it took so long to get back to you but we're so busy with the fishing and bear hunting, I barely have time to go to bed.

There was talk about the non-resident zone being extended, but the outfitters here have millions of dollars tied up in their lodges and didn't like that idea. Plus the Quebec government is really not sure what they want to do. Because there would be no place for anyone to stay if they extend it to the west. The long and the short of it is...that was shot down several months ago. So we'll be status quo for next year at least. I would not look for any changes in the near future. Money and politics have more to do with it than us hunters. The Quebec government, I don't believe will change it any time soon.

And I have 7 months of winter here, so I can damn sure wait till this winter. LOL. Right now I am enjoying what nice weather we have. When the fall gets here I have other things to hunt. We've seen over 200 bears sitting along side the road eating the dandelions and grass...anywhere from 100 lbs to 500 lbs. So for the next couple of months I'll be concentrating on them, then archery moose and firearms moose, with all the fishing in between. But like I said...no rush for the cold weather. LOL. Take care. Maybe we will see you up here when the season opens for Caribou.
Old 06-02-2007, 07:58 PM
Fork Horn

Let's all hope they get back to the old migration pattern!!

Darkside55, thanks for the info. We've had bear visit my garbage outside my house the past few days. He makes quite mess of things. I can't believe the large number of bear we are seeing in PA right now. It use to be a rare site to see a bear on the ridges around my house, but now I find sign of them and sitings all the time. I wish I could say the same for our deer population!! Somebody remind me what they look like!

Good luck with the bear hunts this spring!!
Old 06-03-2007, 08:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

if quebec was smart they would open up more areas and blaze some roads to allow hunting in the early parts of the migration. more hunters = more money$ for everyone. gotta buy gas, food and supplies.
Old 06-10-2007, 02:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

How would someone get a Caribou rack back to the states, I couldn't see it being checked baggage on the plane. Have to UPS it?How much?[:@]
Old 06-21-2007, 05:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

early in- your only in pennsy its an easy drive. i drove back from new jersey 2xs- http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...e/9ad713ff.jpg
Old 06-22-2007, 10:16 AM
Fork Horn

In the back of your truck - I would not fly in, even to hunt 23 where you can drive to the base lodge and they will fly you in. A few hundred miles goes fast in a Beaver. The drive is long, but is something you need to do a least once to appreciate the immense beauty of the James Bay Region. We see all sorts of unique wildlife on the trip and would not miss it for the world as its part of the whole adventure.
Old 06-24-2007, 04:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

driving through that region in warmer weather may be a treat but in november its not for the faint of heart with the start of the ice and snow. i saw several vehicles in ditches.i can still see the outfitters face at the show ( northern money makers) telling me how easy it was to drive up there in a 2 wheel drive pick up. yeah o.k. its funny about the take on the land up there. a guy took a flight to the caribou and told me the area up there is a barren waste for as far as you could see. i loved the terrain up there. where i hunted there were some good hills. not totally flat at all. im thinking of going in 2009 again.

Quick Reply: Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.