Community
Other Areas Canada, Africa, etc.

Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Old 03-15-2007, 09:24 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

We have had some take the bus tour and even fly into Raddision. THe real issue is not havng a truck to get around in. Snowmachines are great but based on how much riding we did in 2006 to get animals - it was not a pleasure ride. By far we have most success in driving the roads and some walking in on ponds a mile or so in. Snowmachines really push them out and I much prefer tostalk and wait on some runs. If the migration is still up top and you do not have a truck you are faced with a long, coldride to get to the meat. The drive from NE is long butit is also a neat ride - alot see along theway andthe country is unique, not to mention to toens along the way - great people in North QC. Another issuewith no transport is you have to qtr and box your animals. I bring them back wholeand get some hang time - qtred yu end up wil more waste rom dryout than you need to have - its also a cost - I think the lodge is going up to 50$ this year per beast andmake sure your outfit can take a cape if you want/get a mount.

FYI - Anyone needs a couple of spots for 30NOV 4 day hunt let me know.
Old 03-15-2007, 04:46 PM

gotahunch:

Thanks for the info. If I do go it will be a winter hunt.

shotgunbilly
Old 03-15-2007, 05:15 PM

Thanks for the info. I really helps me decide if I want to go or not.

shotgunbilly from,

MOOSE COUNTRY, MAINE
Old 04-10-2007, 04:57 PM
Fork Horn

Only seven months to goand it's back to the great north to stalk the majestic caribou.
Old 04-11-2007, 05:37 PM

Hi Everyone,
I have read every post and have found alot of useful info. I am scheduled to go to Mirage 11/26 - 11/30. I can hardly wait. Thanks for all the info.
Dale
Old 04-11-2007, 06:25 PM

Hi Dale,

I know what you mean about hardly being able to wait for your hunt. I am 60 years old and I am still feeling the same way before my hunts. I remain undecided about trying a winter caribou hunt. The fact is I have never hunted caribou any time of year. I am going to Missouri this year for whitetail and probably to Wyoming next year for antelope. Since I am good for only one major trip per year I don't knowwhen I will fit it in. The problem I have with the winter huntis I am not much for snowmobiling and I don't want to take my truck up there. So you see where that leaves me.

Shotgunbilly in,

MOOSE COUNTRY
Old 04-16-2007, 10:45 AM
Fork Horn

They are really hanging low for this late -good to see some new ones in the collared few in our herd. Looks they plan to head along LG3 like the path they took down. Hoping this is not a migration change 'cuause it puts us all in the wrong spot for some good bulls. I heard from a luke warm source that they have been consideringexpanding 22B to K200 since the migration has been shifting for some years. The herd is estimated at 860K (words from a guide from Nordik) which means they need to changethe zones toimprove the conservation plan onthese animals. The first talk was going to 3 tags but this does not help anyone out if they are not in the zone - 2has been tough the lastfew years.

Pray for cold late Nov up top - Nov 30 I will buy anyone at Mirage from this forum a beer. Summer gets in the way of all the good seasons!
Old 04-19-2007, 02:03 AM
Fork Horn

I'll take you up on that beer. We'll be there at the same time.
Old 04-23-2007, 06:09 AM
Fork Horn

Only 7 more months to go... ***sigh*** I waited all last year for this only to get a call from our outfitter (Kisk) this past year 06' to let us know the animals were not there. So we postponed for 07'. I certainly hope they either change the zone laws or the animals change back to the old migration route! I can't take waiting ANOTHER year!!! We're scheduled for Nov. 22nd to 25th.

Well, at least theres nascar and spring gobbler season!!
Old 05-10-2007, 07:54 AM
Fork Horn

Well I'm glad to report that all the Caribou made it back to their home in the far North safely. The Caribou will be holding meetings next week. All herd leader bulls will be required to attend...please leave cows and calves at home. This is a serious meeting.

On the Agenda:
1. Which way we will migrate next year to our southern feeding grounds. Many of the bulls want to stay the same as 06/07. But there is some dissent among the herds to go back to the old migration route.

2. To finish the migration before the hunting season opens and return after it closes. This seems to be the most popular choice of the bull elders of the herds.

We have bribed one of the younger bulls to let us know what goes on at this meeting. As soon as he reports back to us we will let you know. And so all you hunters know, the young bull with the green ears is our spy. Don't shoot him. It took a lot of time and patience to get him on our side.

Quick Reply: Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.