Community
Other Areas Canada, Africa, etc.

Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Old 01-30-2007, 06:39 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Did everybody hear the news?

Mirage lost a Beaver. Pilot was out scouting (with a few clients that had tagged out earlier) and ran out of gas and crashed. Nobody died, but there was some critical injuries.

Crazy stuff...
Old 02-05-2007, 10:18 AM
Fork Horn

THis was crazy stuff. Beavers are some of the most reliable planes our there and have been running many, any years. The are trying to find out what the failure was - engine problem is wat happened - Viking is looking at the problem now to find out what caused it. Some hard injuries but everyone is healing up well and doing fine. Some good piloting is what saved them - guy is young but has a good head for flying.
Old 02-06-2007, 10:06 AM
Fork Horn

Anyone hear of any resident hunters tagging lately?? The map for the past week looks good for the resident zone. I guess it is soon coming to an end for another year...
Old 02-07-2007, 09:43 AM
Typical Buck

All the residents I've spoken to that received resident tags have not had any troubles tagging out since the beginning of the year.

Good luck,
Old 02-13-2007, 04:13 PM
Fork Horn

Got my results for the resident draw....no luck, If i go It will have to be the outfitter way, Now I got to start saving again.
Old 02-18-2007, 11:17 AM
Fork Horn

The down payment has been sent in for 07. This will be a super year for the winter hunt.
Old 03-13-2007, 06:28 AM

Got a Hunch:

I have been reading the posts on Winter caribou hunts with interest. I have been hunting for years. Deer,moose,bear,boar etc. but never caribou. I know nothing about northern Quebec or caribou hunting.
I have been thinking of taking the bus trip to Mirage for a winter hunt. I am 60 years old and I am concerned about how physical the hunt is.I am in good health and have worked out at the gym for years. I am also wondering how much snowmobiling is involved in order to find the caribou. Are you pretty much on your own when you get there? I see by tour profile you are my age. What do you think?
I invite anyone to jump in on this subject and give your opinion. All would be helpful.

Thank you,

Shotgunbilly
Old 03-13-2007, 02:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Shotgunbilly
I was up there in the fall and I didn't break a sweat untill it was time to drag them out. It really depends on if you hit the migration right or not, they could be walking thru the parking lot of your outfitter, or you could have to hire a helicopter to go find the herd.
We brought a snowmobile with us and didn't unload it untill an oldtimer that had shot onea mile off the road asked us for help, we simply shot them close to the road so it was easier

I didn't know there a bus and never saw one, I find it hard to believe that one exists after seeing the roads up there. Most guys would jump in their trucks in the morning and drive to a heavily used trail or lake near the road, then just wait for the bou, I wouldn't want to be up there without wheels to get around, but If you were to rent a snowmobile that would do the trick too.

Its not a walk all day hunt, but if the bou are far away it could make for alot of snowmobiling.

Good luck
Old 03-14-2007, 05:08 PM

tschaef:

Thanks for the info.On the unpredictability of the migration.
If I go, it would be a winter hunt. They do have a bus that leaves from Montreal and takes 24 hours to get to Mirage.The 3 day caribou package with transportation is about$1900.00. It also includes a one or two day snowmobile rental and meals.It sounds like a good deal for those who do not want to do the driving.If anyone out there has had any experience with this package deal or knows someone who has please jump in.

shotgunbilly in
MOOSE COUNTRY

Old 03-14-2007, 05:57 PM
Fork Horn

I've never done the bus trip and don't know anyone who has. The whole thing depends on the timing of the migratrion. This past season was the worst I've experienced in seven years. I had a group of 17 and we only filled 13 tags out of 34. That's the first time that we have not all filled up. Some years have been tougher than others but we always got our animals. As has been stated earlier, you could be almost run over in the bush or you can work your butt off. This season the early hunters did very well. Last year there were no animals in the area of the Taiga Road until November 25th. Mother Nature makes the call. Only you know how much you can handle. It depends a lot on you hunting partner too. I've hunted with the same two guys for the past five seasons and we work well together. I have a crew cab pick-up and we have it down to a system. No arguments about money, driving time, or anything else. There is usually about a 50% turnover in our crew. We go for Nov. 30 every year. If you are interested in 2008 and haven't gone or hooked up yet keep in touch.

Quick Reply: Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.