Community
Other Areas Canada, Africa, etc.

Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Old 01-11-2007, 08:30 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

What is involved in hunting as a resident?? I am about to apply for tags but I know nothing about where to stay or what to do...
From what I have read camping in your truck is not permitted nor is it safe.. so what I want to know is what do all the 1000 resident hunters do while they are hunting???Where to stay and how to go about it?? Thanks Rodney.
BTW the plans for going up this month didn't pan out......
Old 01-12-2007, 06:49 AM
Typical Buck

Just got back from Mirage.

Averaged between 175 - 225 km/day on snowmobiles.

Tagged 3 of 8 on day 3. Two of our partners left at the end of day 3 due to work requirements.

My buddy and I tagged 4 more on day 4.

All bou were on the far west portions of LG4. Lac Murielle (sp?). In fact, I would have to say most of the bou that were taken were taken in the same area.

Rodmax, download the caribou hunting guide and it will give you a lot of options. Also, consider staying at Mirage. You can stay there; tag in the 22A and then tag in the 22B.

Terry - I ran into a guy from Thunderbay. Were you up at Mirage this week?

Cheers,
Old 01-12-2007, 10:55 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Rodmax

What is involved in hunting as a resident?? I am about to apply for tags but I know nothing about where to stay or what to do...
From what I have read camping in your truck is not permitted nor is it safe.. so what I want to know is what do all the 1000 resident hunters do while they are hunting???Where to stay and how to go about it?? Thanks Rodney.
BTW the plans for going up this month didn't pan out......

You have to enter the Lottery for Quebec Residents and if drawn you are allowed to take a friend with you. Mustad is right, look at the hunting guide for Quebec. It has all the info you need. I can tell you this. As a resident, you're allowed to camp in 22A which is the Resident Zone. If you hunt in 22B which is Non-resident you have to stay at an outfitter.
Old 01-12-2007, 01:11 PM
Typical Buck

Rodmax,

Here is the link for more info:

http://www.mrnf.gouv.qc.ca/english/p...u-regulations/

Here is the link for info on the lottery:

http://www.sepaq.com/En/index.cfm

Cheers,
Old 01-13-2007, 05:16 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the tips guys, I now have to convince some friends to apply in the lottery too.
Old 01-13-2007, 08:19 AM
Typical Buck

Here's the only pic I have from the trip.

Cheers,
Old 01-13-2007, 09:22 AM
Fork Horn

Hey mustad, nice picture! Is that picture from this year because I thought you only got 7? That's a lot of snowmobiling. If they ever get back in the zone within the next month we're still going.
Old 01-13-2007, 12:28 PM
Typical Buck

Yes it is from this year.

My buddy and I opted to drop the $ 125 for the last day and get a guide. We were grouped up with two other guys we never met. If you are planning on going up (especially to Mirage) anytime until they start seeing consistent numbers coming back north, I would HIGHLY encourage you to get a guide. The best benefit that you get with the guide is the ability to take advantage of the plane flying around. If it weren't for the plane, I don't think we would have gotten our tags. The plane was able to spot a group of bou, relay their coordinates to our guide. Major advantage. On our way to intercept the group another guide and his 4 hunters where also trying to intercept the bou. We ended up coordinating our approach together. At the end, 15 bou were down and everybody tagged out.

A lot of the value of the guide probably depends on the weather. On our week, the weather was pretty bad. The plane had been grounded for 10 days, so there was no real intelligence coming in. Maybe if the weather was good and the plane was spotting every day, it would have been different. I was just happy to be able to take advantage of it.

Cheers,
Old 01-17-2007, 07:27 AM
Fork Horn

It would be real nice to be there this week, only-39 this morning with the wind and the wind is only 4 km/h. Better for tomorrow warming to -9.

I looked at the map yesterday and it looks likesome have moved south again except for a couple in the resident zone..
Rodney
Old 01-23-2007, 06:28 PM
Fork Horn

seems like they moved a little North again, resident zone has a few collars, has anyone been up in the past week or so? I have put in for the resident lottery so we'll see for next year!! Rodney.

Quick Reply: Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.