Community
Other Areas Canada, Africa, etc.

Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Old 12-04-2006, 12:44 PM

Default RE: Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

I saw some reckless shooting also. On our way in on Sun. the 26th, there were a lot of animals along the road through the resident draw area. Guys were lined up along the road shooting at a herd on a lake while several other guys were out on the lake retreiving downed animals. I saw one animal shot that was no more than 100' or so from a guy dragging one off the lake. There were so many guys down on the lake, and shooting from the road, that the caribou just kept running around in circles. I'm surprised someone wasn't either shot, or beat to death by the guys on the lake who were in the line of fire.

I also saw a group of guys shooting at a herd of about 15 or 20 animals running away across a lake below the dam. They must have fired at least 30 or more shots between them. There were four caribou down on the ice by the time the rest were gone. A guy and his wife told us later that they snowmobiled out and followed the trail of several wounded animals, and filled their four tags. There were apparently several more wounded also, which they told some other hunters about, and they had gone after them. The original shooters had taken the four that were down, and made no attempt to go after the wounded ones. Where is law enforcement when you need it???

There were a lot of hunters in the area, and other than these two incidents, everyone I saw was obeying the law, and acting responsibly.
Old 12-04-2006, 01:42 PM
Typical Buck

Mirage has told me there are no snow mobiles available while I'm there (Jan 6 -10). Are there places other than through the outfitter that will rent snowmobiles in the area or would we need to bring them ourselves?

Thanks,
Old 12-04-2006, 04:48 PM

I seen pretty much the same thing. This was my 3rd trip up and my fathers 1st. We headed up east towards the dam and before we we got to the LA-1 road that heads north I stopped to fuel up the truck and seen 2 cows and 2 calfs running down the road with 2 trucks following them. 3 of the 4 animals went into the ditch and the 4th stood in the middle of the road confused as to which way to go. I walked towards the calf and it ran off with the other 3. We went to leave and two guys jumped out and shot at the animals from the road killing at least 2 of them. Guns loaded and and not cased? When we got above the dam we drove to the end of the road and turned around. Never seen an animal. On the way back we spoted a cow on a lake and moved south to get in front of the animal. I set my dad 62 years old on the edge of a lake hoping to give him a shot at his first caribou. Don't get me wrong we did not just road hunt we stopped several times and set up on different lakes trying to get close to the animals.I was standing next to him without a gun wanting to make this his kill. We seen a animal on the edge of the lake he shot and missed. I went into the woods to try and push the animal back his way for another shot and did. But instead of him shooting 4 other hunters moved in and shot right towards us knowing we were there. They missed as well. After that we agreed it wasn't worth dying for and left. Moral of the story too many desperate hunters not enough animals. If getting a cow or a calf is that important to some it's just not worth it. I took my father up there this year to show him the country and a good hunt, but if you are going to getshot at for an animal well you decide. Doug...
Old 12-04-2006, 08:19 PM
Spike

Kiskamastakin or however it is spelled has snomobiles for rent also. I think he said they were $168 a day.
Old 12-04-2006, 11:02 PM

we were at donat's from 11/17 to 11/20. had michigan hunters stop their truck in front of us on the road, four guys get out and shoot down the road at four caribou standing in the road 150yds down the road at the crest of a hill. after around 15 shots they had killed one and wounded three others. we had to waitten minutes before they would move their truck so we could get by. i was waiting on a lake and had a group of 12 or so caribou coming across, i shot the biggest bull, which bucked and ran across the ice and piled up dead at the edge of the lake. then an orange vest popped out next to it, shot it laying there dead and had it dressed and tagged before i could get over to it (deep snow and he was obviously in a hurry). He says, "hey, it's mine, i shot it." I said well if that's the way you do things and you have to let others shoot your animals then just $%%^^^^%ing take the damn thing. This guy was also from michigan and staying at kiskimistaaken. (nothing against michigan hunters by the way). I filled a tag and could have filled both my tags, but all in all it was a disgusting display and did not make me proud to be associated with these guys that call themselves hunters. i was able to get far off the road and have a great afternoon of hunting when i got my bull though. anyone going up there i highly suggest a snowmobile or at the very least snowshoes so you can get away from all the irresponsible, unethical and just plain dirtbags up there. i met plenty of good guys up there too, it's just a shame how a few idiots can ruin it for so many others.
Old 12-05-2006, 06:35 AM
Fork Horn

We decided against going up this year and postponed till next. I sure hope things are a little more under control next year. It's a shame to hear how some people become so irresponsible when it comes to hunting. It seems most of those guys were just out to slaugter something and not hunt. Hopefully all you guys expressed these concerns to the outfitters so they can alert the proper authorities to try and get it back under control. It's a shame for all those caribou that are now crippled just because some idiot didn't want to wait for a the proper shot. I understand accidents, but the stories that you guys told don't sound like accidents! Sorry to hear some of you came back dissappointed because of this.
Old 12-05-2006, 01:33 PM

This type of garbage goes on in years where they are thick as well. We were stopped by a warden and we told him about the 4 dead animals we found including one really good bull. He seemed pleased that we didn't find more as last year thier was a really good crossing where road hunters were picking them off pretty good and he walked into the bush and found 23 dead caribou, mostly small bulls dead within 100 yards of the road. He said peple don't think they are big enough and let them lay or if they don't drop on the spot they don't try to recover them. Anyone that goes up thier has to be prepared to hunt in the bush a ways or this will be what you find everywhere. Looking forward to heading back up thier, looks like 08' or 09'.
Old 12-05-2006, 04:36 PM

Hi BKMSTR, just got back from Quebec. We only got3 out of 8 tags filled. It was the toughest hunt I have ever had. My group is not road hunters and we spent 4 days in the woods. We went in all directions and only saw 4 caribou. I put over 20 hours on my Argo and walked 12 miles according to my gps. There was very little fresh sign in the woods. We kept in contact with one of guides from Camp Kisk. and actually ran into them twice out in the woods. They were seeing no abundance of fresh tracks. I was lucky enough to have 4 wolves out in front of me for about 30 minutes.(this and the scenery helped make up for the lack of caribou.) Most of the hunters spent their days driving up and down the road waiting for a cow or calf to cross the road or cross a lake. I saw situations and heard many more disappointing stories of carelessness/greed of hunters.
Old 12-05-2006, 04:48 PM

Just had my first taste of Caribou backstrap, cooked about a 12" hunk on the grill tonight. It's right up thier with the AZ elk I got last year. I was a little suprised at the yield from the animal as the cow I got dressed #140 and I completely deboned the meat and only got about #35 of meat off her. Thier was not a lick of fat on her and with the cape off hanging on the hook she appeared gangly. Is this the way most are or did I kill a runt? She gave every appearence to being healthy and sure tastes good!!!!!!! Also I could not beleive how thin skinned they are. When I skun her if I turned the knife even slighlty into the hide, a tear nearly exploded in result. I should have used the rifle the last day and got some more of these good eats. Lesson learned for next time.
Old 12-05-2006, 07:01 PM
Fork Horn

Sorry things arent going as they should as far as hunter ethics go. And I wanted to have the 1000th post ,I cant wait to go up next year for the first time!! Gonna be a good time weather we kill or not.... Rodney.
I know a guy who is guiding at camp Kisk and I hope to see him over christmas ... to see about making plans for next year we'll see....

Quick Reply: Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.