Community
Other Areas Canada, Africa, etc.

bringing my muzzleloader across the boarder

Old 11-09-2003, 04:56 PM
Fork Horn

Default bringing my muzzleloader across the boarder

i have a spring black bear hunt in canada in may fully paid for by a good friend of mine and i want to use my muzzleloader....need to know how or who to contact to bring my gun into canada.....................bob

Old 11-09-2003, 07:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: bringing my muzzleloader across the boarder

Give this a try

www.cfc.gc.ca. or

1-800-731-4000 it is the Firearms Control Center. They can give you all
the info you need. Good luck

Ron

Old 11-10-2003, 05:30 PM
Fork Horn

thank you.....bob
Old 11-11-2003, 01:26 PM

http://www.cfc.gc.ca./en/visitors/

Another thing to look at is the whole black powder thing. In this day and age I would go the pyrodex route, since it isn' t an explosive like BP is. You better not put yourself in a situation where you are trying to take explosives across the border. I wouldn' t do it if I was allowed to. Secondarily you can' t take BP on an airplane. Leaving end point bush plane service aside, your not going to be able to take it by carrier, as far as I know. Thirdly, there are nothing like the number of specialty gunstores that have BP or Pyro once you get here. Your local Walmart won' t likely have it. So just arrange it with your guide, and be sure you have the same primers and so forth for your load development.

From the look of it, you have a flintlock there, that means arranging two powders for pick-up, as you know.

If you are driving, I wouldn' t be as worried, though I would still try to arrange pick-up.

As far as i know, the balls/slugs are considered ammo, so look into that, and make sure your approach to any inocent lead you are carrying is consistant with the law. I am talking about firearms law here. I have no idea what the classification is relative to hazzardous materials etc... should be benign. what I am talking about is that you should probably research how balls are regarded under federal law. I know that at some point owning shot and pelets was covered under the legislation. Which ment you needed approval and safe storage.