Community
Other Areas Canada, Africa, etc.

999 format is it good or bad??

Old 08-13-2003, 01:47 AM
Fork Horn

Default 999 format is it good or bad??

The 999 format for alberta draws is it good or a bad thing. A few of us guys were talking at work about it and there is a mixed feeling for the new system.

1 it allows you to postpone you from taking a tag in a year when you may not want to hunt that speices

2 it allows you to move up in priorty... but it is a good thing for all other hunters??

3 having said that you may postpone a hunt into a trophy area until you are sure of getting the draw you want.

I see it as a win win for me but what do you think? good bad or in diffrent??
Old 08-13-2003, 09:55 AM

Default RE: 999 format is it good or bad??

I really like the idea and used it much this year.

In the past in order to advance my draw priority in a draw that I did not want to hunt that particular year I would make an application in an area where I had little to no chance of being selected.
Generally this works well until you advance your draw priority up a few levels then if you still want to advance but not hunt it’s a bit of a gamble – last year I got drawn for nearly everything I applied for all at once! Only missed Grizzly, Turkey and Goat (which has no priority of course) I simply could not go on a few of the hunts and had far too many tags anyways.
So now I am low priority for many tags and have to wait years to advance again but did not really get a good chance of filling the tag when I was drawn. I did a lot of 999 this year.

Old 08-16-2003, 01:36 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: 999 format is it good or bad??

It will make it harder to predict if you have enough priority in a draw to get a permit. There could be a bunch of hunters hiding in the weeds with more priority than you and if they decide to apply you will be bumped out.

As I have posted here before the Alberta Fish and Game Association has passed a resolution and will ask the Alberta Gov' t. to allow a hunter who is drawn and can not or wishes not to make use of that permit, to turn it in and retain his priority. For example if a hunter got cow elk and bull moose and mule deer they may only want to buy the cow elk and try for the bull moose next year. Or a hunter gets drawn for a permit in July and has to have back surgery in Aug. They may not be able to hunt that fall. The permit turned in would be avalible to another hunter.

Robin