Community
Other Areas Canada, Africa, etc.

Cabela’s Grand Opening in Winnipeg

Old 05-03-2008, 07:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Cabela’s Grand Opening in Winnipeg

Has anyone made it to the opening yet ? I’m going to wait till the big rush is over and see how they finished the store. I had to laugh at that special price they had the 3-9 x 40 mm Zeiss Conquest on for. What a joke. Hopefully no one fell into that trap...
Old 05-03-2008, 11:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Cabela’s Grand Opening in Winnipeg

I was all pumped that cabelas was coming to Chicagoland......then I went in it......I've been in quite a few cabelas and they seem to have dropped the ball on the chicago location.....let me know how Winnipegs is.

Aside from a monster Cape Buffalo, there wasn't much there. Been there a few times so it wasn't opening too soon type of disappointment.

Old 05-04-2008, 05:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've been to 6 of their stores across the states. The one in Hamburg was very impresssive (esp. their deer room). I've been so busy and will be till next weekend so I won't get a chance to visit the new store untill next weekend. I regularly visit the store in East Grand Forks so I'm very interested in seeing the price comparison with the new store in Winnipeg. Then again I won't stop cross the border shopping for booze and smokes (savings pays for one of the nights in a hotel anyway). I'll let you know about the store and the price comparison.
Old 05-04-2008, 10:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

I`m going to have to wait a week or so before going in the Winnipeg store as I am in Kentucky right now.Probably the same as two weeks ago when I was in there.

Ron
Old 05-13-2008, 01:20 AM

Great news! Now that they have that done, any chance of opening a store where there are people?

These things are always disappointing, though I hope not. The Toronto Bass Pro store is fine, but it really doesn't do much for us. Archery accessories was pretty good, though I have all that, and so is clothing I suppose, though I never buy that stuff. But they really aren't making prices on anything as far as I can see. Any excitement I had about getting to a US store is not replicated here. Some thing with Walmart. You go to one of those in the US, it is totally different. There isn't any magic formula, the market doesn't get any bigger for Bass Pro being here, so the prices don't drop.
Old 05-13-2008, 08:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

I guess Cabela's doesn't know that Toronto is the center of the universe or perhaps they know that on a percentage basis there are more hunters here. The cool thing now is that you can order at their catalogue prices and they will send it directly to the store to pick up. I believe at the savings of the duty and some of the shipping costs.
Old 05-15-2008, 08:28 AM
Typical Buck

I don't think anybody can predict what their development plans are at this point.

They have announced building a store in Mirabel, QC for two years now. It was originally planned to be open the fall of 2007 and now doesn't even come up on their plans for 2008 or 2009. Meanwhile, they announced 10 months ago that they are opening in Maine and the store opens this month. Winnipeg doesn't even show as a retail location for them on their website. If you talk to one of their reps on it, they have basically been told not to talk about future development at all. It would be great if they could fulfill canadian orders from the Winnipeg store though.
Old 05-15-2008, 08:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Finally got to the new Cabela's and was somewhat dissapointed. Price on tree stands both hanging and ladder were reasonable but the selection is weak. As for boots and clothing, they are far more expensive than the Grand Forks store. It would be still cheaper to go down for the weekend, buy booze, gas, and Cabela's stuff (your savings would definitely pay for 2 nights at a hotel). Their archery supplies was also very limited. They have not stocked any Cabela's named archery products such as broadheads and carbon arrows. Once again for the prices of the former SIR stock it is way cheaper in Grand Forks. They do have a good selection of bows though. I checked on 2 guns that I would like to buy and both were back ordered and would not be in till end of June to mid July. Untill they get their act together it is still worth your while to travel to Grand Forks for the weekend.
Old 05-16-2008, 06:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

it is still worth your while to travel to Grand Forks for the weekend.
Very true but anything doing with firearms or reloading components is out of the question. I was hoping Cabela’s would have Berger bullets but unfortunately looks like it might not happen, even if Cabela’s in the sates carry them.

Yeah I always get mixed up with Toronto , is it the center of the universe or center of Canada ?

I wasn’t impressed with Cabela’s either. Prices are nothing special. Sometimes it’s cheaper to order out of the province then to buy locally...
Old 05-16-2008, 12:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

Lately I think Cabelas is using Bass Pro shop business rules. HOw many people live in WInnipeg to make it a go? THey should have moved to Toronto or MOntreal .

Quick Reply: Cabela’s Grand Opening in Winnipeg

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.