Community
Other Areas Canada, Africa, etc.

Really want to hunt moose bad, what can a guy do?

Old 04-29-2007, 03:06 PM
Fork Horn

Default Really want to hunt moose bad, what can a guy do?

To hunt in canada for moose, do you need to hire an outfitter? If so, has anyone seen some rock bottom rates for average canadian moose. I'd like to find a moose hunt within a days drive of my home in Montana. 40"+ bull or so is adequate.
Old 04-30-2007, 10:55 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Really want to hunt moose bad, what can a guy do?

There is not a 40+ in. moose behind every tree. If you pay for a good outfitter you may get one if you are lucky. Any outfitter who has allocations (non-res. alien permits) in the eastern part of the province may be a better bet for a bigger bull right now.

Try this site: www.apos.ab.ca

Robin in Rocky
Old 05-02-2007, 10:03 AM

I think there are parts of Quebec you can hunt moose without an outfitter but you may need to be a canadian resident.......not sure of the details...
Old 05-05-2007, 03:49 PM
Typical Buck

There is a dozen moose in my yard all winter. If it were up to me you could have one.
PS do moose really get that small?
Old 05-07-2007, 09:15 PM

lol..
had moose in my yard most of the winter also
200 elk feedimg nightly on nabors hay
lots of moose here, we even have a cow season,
but i don't see many 40'', and being a meat hunter, i'd probably let him pass
what you have to do montana, is make a friend in alberta, and have him invite you to hunt ,as your host hunter no money can change hands, and you pay from200-300$ just for yur tag.
i bring in my bro=inlaw, for elk.....but we can each only do this once every 3 years

from saddlehills, peace country

Old 05-09-2007, 05:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't know what you consider a days driving.....
24 hrs? 12 Hrs ? 8 Hrs.....
If you can pull it off, try Cariboo Region of British Columbia.....
EG..100 MILE, LAC LE HACHE, WILLIAMS LAKE, QUESNEL ANAHEIM LK....
A little closer might be, Thompson River Region
Clinton, Big Bar, Lilloet..
Often outfitters put together a really reasonably pricedcombo hunt..
Probably you'll see morebulls in the high 20's to mid 30's, and its not unexpected to see moose in the 40's or higher..
The biggest I've seen shot is just over 47".....
I've found lots of sheds that would easily go over 40"......
But at the same time, this is Prime Mule Deer territory.....BIG BIG BUCKS...
As important as price may be to you...
Probably the main main thing is finding out their hunting methods, and make sure its how you want to hunt them...
Some require you being in peak physical condition, some don't,but all of these require you being in peak peak mental condition...
I can't believe the number of guys that go up their,in top physical form just to give up because of thequantity of mosquitoes, black flies and noseems....
This is ultimately going to be key to your enjoyment and success.....
Old 05-12-2007, 08:42 AM
Fork Horn

This is interesting so far, and thanks for the replies fellas.

I have been putting in down here for moose as long as I have lived here and not drawn a tag. I have every bonus point you can have for them in Montana. I also put in for moose in Utah and Wyoming. Never drawn.

However, if I were to draw I would be looking for a moose in the 150" category, which is Boone for shiras. I wouldn't necessarily expect to kill a moose of that magnitude, but I know it is possible and I would scout and hunt with that in mind. I see at least one moose a year I consider a shooter while out elk hunting or otherwise. I see several, say 3-5 per year that would hit about 40" in width, and that once again is not while hunting for them - just incidental stuff.

I would assume from what I have seen of Canadian moose that on the average they are bigger than our shiras. Now that may not be the case everywhere in Canada, but I must assume that your moose break 40" more regularly than ours. Perhaps the hunting/management of the herds is more like our elk in Montana, and it may be harder to find the older age class bulls, I don't know.

I live about 8 hours from the Alberta/Saskatchewan borders. Southern British Columbia is not too far either. I have heard that there is good moose hunting in the buffalo head hills in southern Alberta. I have checked with a number of outfitters, and they all want about 3,500-5,000 for a moose hunt. This may or may not include gratuities, tags and licenses in all cases. If I could drive, at least I wouldn't have to worry about air fair and getting the moose back home to process.

I would love to "make a friend" in Canada and have them host me for a moose hunt, unfortunately, I'm not sure I have much to trade one of our brothers over the border. You guys have about every species we do, and more of it in some cases. I can do bear, elk, mule deer, white tail, antelope, prairie dog/gopher shooting, etc. If I ended up doing a paid hunt, I would be much more picky with what I shot. Nothing short of 45" and at least double brow tines, because I can do that here on a shiras "if I draw the tag."

Here is a pic of a bear I shot this spring. He weighed 260lb field dressed and squared 6-3. This is probably not very exciting to you Canadians. I expect you guys shoot 7' plus bears every year, or consider them rodents or something. Antelope might be something I've heard you guys are short on though. At least in most areas. Anyone want to trade a 1,500lb 40"+ moose for a 110lb 12"+ antelope?

Old 05-12-2007, 10:10 PM
Typical Buck

Thats a good bear so matter which side of the border it came from.
Moose in southern BC and Aberta are Shiras also but not according to BandC. That said I have seen bulls near 60 inches west of Calgary back in the 70's and i suppose there still are.
Up in Northern BC the animals are much larger in body size. The same 60 inch rack will weigh much more.
Why not consider Alaska? Two guys can drive Montana to Alaska in 3 days, hunting should be good about anyplace. Maybe tow a small boat and hunt a large lake. Moose in general are easier than elk.
Good Luck
tz
Old 05-12-2007, 11:20 PM
Fork Horn

Alaska is too far right now. I want to go there bad, but I need to stay within a days drive. I am self employed with a number of employees and a new baby daughter here at home. No time for an extended trip.

I can get away about any time I want, but not for very long. Quite frankly, I don't want to be away from my wife and daughter very long anyway. It is hard to leave in the morning whenmy daughtersmiles at me, but way easier to come home than it used to be.

Canada is looking like the solution to my moose hunting bug, I just need to find something that works for me financially.