Community
Other Areas Canada, Africa, etc.

Bowhunt in Alberta

Old 04-04-2006, 07:58 AM

Default Bowhunt in Alberta

Me and my buddy have a early season combo (Elk,Moose,Whitetail) bowhunt scheduled with Alberta Wilderness Guide Service in September of2006. The oufitter is located near edmonton, Alberta. Does anyone have any experinece with this oufitter? What kind of weather can we expect this time of year? Is the animal movement good at this time?

I have hunted Canada two years ago but this was in Quebec for Caribou and I know geographiclly they are totally different.

any help would be appreciated!
Old 04-04-2006, 08:44 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Bowhunt in Alberta

I guided in their west camp for whitetails in 03. They run an excellent outfit which is evident in how much repeat business they get (especially for whitetails). At any rate, they are all professionals and run a great camp.

I'm guessing you'll be in the west camp for your hunt??Anyway, it doesn't matter much where you are at that time of the year. the weather could range from -10C to +25C. In recent years it's been more on the warm side in sept-oct. Are you huntingat the beginning or end of sept?

Anyway, gotta get back to work...hope this helps. fire me a PM if you have any more questions.
Old 04-04-2006, 10:59 AM

Thanks for the info Saskabush! We will be hunting from Aug. 29 to Sept 8. Tyler has said we will be in the West Camp... Are the Elk and Moose moving alot at that time of year?
Old 04-04-2006, 03:12 PM
Fork Horn

No problem, I can't speak too much about their early season hunts since I was only there in November for whitetails. What I can tell you is that Tyler is a great guy and has forgotten more about guiding than I'll ever know. Also, his wife Rebecca is an amazing cook so you'll eat well (i'm asuming she still does the cooking).

The elk rut should be picking up when you're there and the whitetails may still be hanging around their summer haunts. Allin all, there is plenty of game in that areaso you should do well. If you're lucky and get some cooler weather the animals will really be moving to pack on the pounds for fall.

Say hi to the White Buffalo for me. have fun.
Old 04-04-2006, 04:30 PM

Hey edooley during that time of the year the weather is actually pretty nice so you dont really have to bring anything warm to wear but do bring a couple pairs of long johns just in case. The elk around that time are actually just starting their rut so that should be a perfect time for you guys as well as the moose activity should start to be picking up by then. As for the whitetail they wont be in rut yet but theres lots of them and their always moving around. Last year i was bowe hunting around that time and was able to call 3 bulls in and actually came within 30yds of a bull moose but had no tag. Shot 2 whitetails as well and all of this before thesecond week of sept you you should have lots of luck and good luck to you.

Lethal
Old 04-05-2006, 06:12 AM

Saskabush thanks for the info! I will cetainly tell White Buffalo that you said hi. We are absolutely pumped about heading up there for a bowhunt!

Same to you Letahalconnetction thanks for the info. Were hoping we will be able to come away with all three species and what you guys have said, we should have a darn good chance of doing just that!

Again, thanks for the info.

Old 04-05-2006, 05:26 PM
Typical Buck

edooley
If I were you I would consentrate on hunting hard for one of the three that you want the most. You may get lucky and bump into one of the others along the way. And if you get a good trophy early you will have time to go after another. A tree stand overlooking a lick or a popular water hole could be a good way to spend a lot of "quiet time" and get a chance at any of the three.

If you get one of each in your ?10 day hunt? I would head straight for Vegas as soon as the meat is in the freezer. Good luck and have a real fine hunt.

Robin
Old 04-06-2006, 07:29 AM

Duffy,
Our outfitter will putting us in stands over mineral licks and water holes which sounds like the way to go. As far as getting all three species, all I can do is hope for that..I'm one of those guys that thinks the glass is half full.
All I know is thatI will have the oppurtunity to enjoy some SPECTACULAR country, that in itself is enough enjoyment... However, I will be carrying my flyrod if the hunting is slow!

Thanks for the input Duffy!
Old 04-06-2006, 05:20 PM

Just wondering but would you happen to know what WMU youll be hunting in?

Old 04-06-2006, 05:37 PM

We will be huntingin Zone/WMU 346.

Quick Reply: Bowhunt in Alberta

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.