Community
Other Areas Canada, Africa, etc.

Interested in a caribou hunt.

Old 01-02-2006, 06:24 PM

Default RE: Interested in a caribou hunt.

Mark, you got mail! I thank you will be happy with this outfitter and his prices. Email me back at [email protected] if you would like to book for 06

Old 01-08-2006, 12:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

i checked out the site but this is my take. its not much all that cheaper and seems to not have all that nordik offers. i wouldnt want to get into a coming back the next year issue. i would want an outfitter that has enough camps to move you around. also the cheaper plan they have isint much of a bargain. for a thousand dolars less you have to bring your own food and then you have to drive 25 hours to the la grande airport. not much of a bargain. i can hunt africa for 6 animals at that price.
Old 01-09-2006, 07:25 AM

ORIGINAL: liquidorange

i checked out the site but this is my take. its not much all that cheaper and seems to not have all that nordik offers. i wouldnt want to get into a coming back the next year issue. i would want an outfitter that has enough camps to move you around. also the cheaper plan they have isint much of a bargain. for a thousand dolars less you have to bring your own food and then you have to drive 25 hours to the la grande airport. not much of a bargain. i can hunt africa for 6 animals at that price.
I did one better, I called them and talked to them. But I agree with you, for me it isn't the best deal going. Have you looked at Jack Hume? I've talked to them also and haven't heard a bad thing about them yet. If I was putting money on a caribou hunt today Jack Hume would get my check.
Old 01-20-2006, 11:49 AM

AM HUNTING MIRAGE FOR FIRST TIME NOV 30- DEC 4.. IS THIS TIME OK AND IS BOW HUNTING POSSIBLE. I HAVE HUNTED A LOT BUT NOT FOR BOUS AND DO NOT KNOW AREA....ALSO DO I NEED A SLED AND HOW MUCH DIESEL FOR TRUCK CAN I TAKE OR NEED...THANKS
Old 01-21-2006, 10:03 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: BOWMASTER209

AM HUNTING MIRAGE FOR FIRST TIME NOV 30- DEC 4.. IS THIS TIME OK AND IS BOW HUNTING POSSIBLE. I HAVE HUNTED A LOT BUT NOT FOR BOUS AND DO NOT KNOW AREA....ALSO DO I NEED A SLED AND HOW MUCH DIESEL FOR TRUCK CAN I TAKE OR NEED...THANKS
This year that would have been a perfect time. Who knows about next year? Would suggest you check the migration maps. If the caribou are there, you'll have to work a little harder but shouldn't have a problem with the bow.There is diesel available at Camp 381 and at the Mirage. But the rule of thumb is, 'Never pass a place where you can fill up'. And bring 3 or 4 fuel cans with you in case of emergency. As far as a snowmobile goes, their handy. Some years you don't need them, other years you can't do anything without them. I don't know where you're located, but if you've got a long drive to get there, it's better to rent one from them than to haul one all the way up. Good luck on your hunt next year.

I'm going back next month, as the herd has finally turned and going into the zone where you can hunt. There's a link to the migration maps at the Mirage website.
Old 01-21-2006, 05:50 PM
Typical Buck

I went with Jack Hume this year. They were excellent. In every way, the either met or exceeded my expectations. It was a tough year this fall, but they managed to tag everyone out. On our way back, we ran into a quite a few people that didn't tag out, and even a few people that didn't see any caribou.

One guy said he was with an outfitter (can't remember the name) on the Labrador Quebec border. They did not see one caribou most of the week. Their outfitter called Richard Hume and asked if they could use one of the Hume camps. Richard agreed; they moved and were able to harvest a few caribou on the last day.

JHA's major advantage is the fact that they have 20+ camps spread around and are willing to move you at no cost if either you haven't seen anything. This year, they moved some guys out of the camp we flew into as they had tagged out and wanted to chill out drink beer fish, etc... until the week was over. They got water, electricity, etc... and we got into a productive camp.

I was very impressed with their flexibility, willingness to do whatever they could, and their ability to set expectations and meet them.

If you go and you meet Lorraine (cook) and Steve (guide), tell them Dan says "hi".

Good luck.
Old 01-31-2006, 11:01 AM
Fork Horn

BM209 -

Tough for Bow but not unreasonable. Bring a rifle also. Snow can be deep and many shots could be 2-300 yards. I had brought a bow the last few year for the 4-5DEC and this year I am not as it never leaves my truck.

The last gas is K381 om the James Bay Road and it is 325 miles (miles) to the lodge from there so bring a few gallons extra in case of problems.

Mirage is a great lodge - Food, people and accomodations. Well worth the $$.