Community
Other Areas Canada, Africa, etc.

Moose Hunt/ Newfoundland

Old 12-20-2005, 05:44 AM

Default Moose Hunt/ Newfoundland

Can anyone tell me when hunting moose when in the rut is the meat still edible? From what i understand the rut starts the 1st of oct. i dont know how long it lasts? Any info would be really great.

Thanks.
Old 12-20-2005, 03:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Moose Hunt/ Newfoundland

Actually the rut starts a week or 2 earlier than that. It peaks the 1st week in October.At least that's what we were told. I got a moose Oct 5 of this year. Meat is good. My only complaint is that it is tuff. The guides told me it would be tuff because it was older. All the locals up there are mostly meat hunters. They pass up big bulls and would rather shoot a spike or 4 pt. They say the meat is more tender.It must be true. Mine tastes great but its like chewing on rubber. If you tenderize it it helps.

Are you hunting for meat or antlers? I'll be honest with you. They shoot lots of small moose up there. Most guys, I think, get tired of walking and shoot whatever. The moose up there don't live long enough to get huge.

I'll send a photo of the three we got. I got a nice one but my buddies settled for smaller. They wanted bigger but got tired of walking. THOSE GUIDES WALK ! If you have any questions , I'll try to give you answers based on what I experienced.

Old 12-21-2005, 05:34 AM

Hi Windwalker,

Looking more for the meat mostly! but still want a decent rack, i would hate to have a rack of a deer bigger, lol.About howmuch meat in ibs do you figure you got from your bull? How much did it way? Just curious icant wait to go up. I guess i will have to start useing the treadmill this spring and summer with my boots on.Is the walking flat mostly or up in down?

thanks.
Old 12-21-2005, 01:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

They estimated my moose weighed about 900 lbs. I got 247lbs. of meat, according to the butcher up there. My one buddy got 226 lbs. out of his. The other got 180 lbs.I have to admit, they left quite a bit lay on the ground. The outfit I hunted with packs everything out on foot. They don't use ATVs or anything. It was amazinghow muchthose guys could pack on there back. I can understand why they don't take everything.

The terrain was basically rolling hills, nothing steep. The way you would sink in and the black spruce is what made the walking difficult. Yes, walk before you go.

I hunted with Patey and Sons
[align=center]www.BigGameOutfitting.com[/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center]You shouldn't have a problem getting a moose. We didn't see alot but the weather was rainy and foggy a couple days.[/align]