Community
Other Areas Canada, Africa, etc.

Quebec Rut...

Old 11-07-2005, 04:04 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Quebec Rut...

the outfitter is [CERF-SAU D'ANTICOSTI INC . ] TEL .514-252-5015 fax 514-252-9180 ....there is no e- mail ....he has 2 territories RIVIERE BELL + RIVIERE CHALOUPE ..
Old 11-08-2005, 06:44 PM
Typical Buck

Hey Walter,

Just wanted to let you know I got my buck today... Crazy thing... Shot him about 3:30 pm... He followed two 1.5 year old females out of the woods... I can't imagine they were in heat, but who knows... Big buck 8 point probably weigh out close to 200 lbs... I'll post pics and longer story tomorrow on the deer forum, but just wanted to let you know... Just like you said, very little sign of rut starting, oh well it's a beautiful deer.

Cheers,

Dan
Old 11-08-2005, 07:40 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: mustad

Hey Walter,

Just wanted to let you know I got my buck today... Crazy thing... Shot him about 3:30 pm... He followed two 1.5 year old females out of the woods... I can't imagine they were in heat, but who knows... Big buck 8 point probably weigh out close to 200 lbs... I'll post pics and longer story tomorrow on the deer forum, but just wanted to let you know... Just like you said, very little sign of rut starting, oh well it's a beautiful deer.

Cheers,

Dan
Good job Dan. Congratulations.
Old 11-09-2005, 06:14 AM
Typical Buck

congradulation MUSTAD ,now ur all ready for ANTICOSTI ..my friends came back sunday from ANTICOSTI ,they all tagged out , but it was not easy,some had to tag doe's to complete their hunt ...
Old 11-10-2005, 01:03 PM
Typical Buck

Yeah, I'm ready... If it is a doe than it's a doe... I think things could change though this week.

Anycase, I'm still on a high from Tuesday afternoon. I got to my sight around 1:15 and decided I would just hang out in the blind for the day. Earlier that day, I told my wife that I was done with my new Sportchief camo hunting suit because the thing was just too damn loud (whoever decided to put velcro on a hunting suit should seriously reconsider careers if you ask me). So, inspired by my thoughts of the Benoit family in Duxbury, VT (I grew up about 10 minutes from their house in Waitsfield), I made the decision to go back to the basics and put on the wool.

At about 3:00, the wind died down and by 3:15 a couple of young does (1.5 years old) came out for a quick bite of clover. As they were eating, I could tell they were intently looking back into the woods which they came out of. I knew there had to be something back in there, so I waited. Indeed about 10 minutes later, a nice 8 point buck sticks his head out of the woods. I immediately hid underneath the window of my portable blind. I had a light wind straight into me from his direction, so I knew there was no way he could smell me. It's tough to say what exactly happened of the next couple of minutes, but I spent it peaking over the edge of the window to see if he was looking in my direction; getting my gun ready; or just trying to calm my breathing down. When he was contently eating some clover, I shouldered my rifle and got him in my scope. He picked his head up and started looking intently into the forest again.

I decided not to wait any longer and put a good lung shot on him. He took the 165 grain 30-06 bullet from 150 yards like what seemed to be a mosquito bite. He didn't even jump, but walked jingerly into some long grass/ lightly wooded area with his tail in the air. After watching this happen, I couldn't believe it. Last year I missed a deer from less than 60 yards, but I was sure that it wouldn't happen this year given the 3-4 days/week I had spent on the range. An empty feeling overcame me from the prospects of a miss. I decided to investigate nonetheless.

About halfway to the sight where he was standing when I shot, I noticed a tail flicker in the grass not far from where I lost sight of the buck. I knew the does scattered off another direction so it couldn't have been them. Again, with the wind in my favor, I slowly closed the gap. It took me another 20 yards before I could clearly see the antlers and I knew it was my buck. I took a deep breath and finished him off with another shot. As I went to see him, his blood trail started about 20 yards from where I shot him, but was clear up to his body.

All in all, it was a great experience and was topped off by a sole drag, clean and load into my truck (note - this is the last time I hunt deer with a bed cover on my truck). Pertinents - 8 points, 227 lbs. Rifle - Tikka T3 Synthetic/Blued 30-06. Bullet - Hornady BTSP 165 grain. Here is a link to some pics...

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c3...2/DSC00141.jpg
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c3...2/DSC00137.jpg
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c3...2/DSC00135.jpg
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c3...2/DSC00135.jpg

Cheers,

Dan
Old 11-10-2005, 01:08 PM
Typical Buck

Just noticed I posted the same picture twice... here is the fourth I intended to post...

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c3...2/DSC00144.jpg
Old 11-10-2005, 02:10 PM
Dominant Buck

Real nice north country buck Dan. Glad to see you still have your New England roots by the BBall cap. Small word but you mentioned that you grew up in Waitsfield and that is where I learned to deer hunt about 45 years ago. My father had a small camp at the base of the ridge on the right before you get to the town coming from Waterbury. The camp was off old county road. Lots of great memories there.
Old 11-10-2005, 02:36 PM
Typical Buck

CI,

I grew up on Old County Road (at the other end on the right just before you start going down the hill). Where was your camp? Up near the old gravel pit? You wouldn't recognize it now... that little road actually goes all the way up to the Center Fayston road now and is packed with houses. My cousin still lives right next to Kenyons, but life in the valley is not an incling of what it used to be.

I dropped you an email to discuss further, but not sure it went through... I'd love to synch up further.

Cheers
Old 11-10-2005, 03:08 PM
Dominant Buck

Dan I got your PM and sent an answer. We were up near the pit and I bet you know the camp. Over the years they got lots of deer and that is where I got my first buck up in an area that we called the old sugar house....Frank
Old 11-10-2005, 04:16 PM
Typical Buck

that's what i call a nice buck ..good for u [congradulation ]

Quick Reply: Quebec Rut...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.