Community
Other Areas Canada, Africa, etc.

Manitoba Muzzleloader - Who's Going?

Old 10-22-2005, 09:20 PM

Default Manitoba Muzzleloader - Who's Going?

Just wondering if there are any other Manitobans around and if so where they might be heading for opening day. Plan to be inmy stand in Agassiz Forest. First year ML but hopes are high. Lots of sign and plenty of deer sightings on grouse trips.
Old 10-23-2005, 09:41 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Manitoba Muzzleloader - Who's Going?

I hunt in the Swan River area, (close to home). I won't be out the first day, but then it only takes a 10 minute drive from home to hunting. I been MZing for 8 years now + I love it. I hunt on private land, mostly, where I am the only hunter allowed. Quite a few bucks around, but getting within range for a killing shot makes for a tough hunt. I use an inline .50 cal. with a scope. Longest shot so far has been 137 yards, I paced it off myself. But I wouldn't try that again, to far of a shot. No problem up to 100 yds. bullet placement is everything. Practice lots, off + on all summer. Where do you buy your supplies? Do you use pellets or loose powder? What bullets do you use?
Old 10-23-2005, 01:09 PM

powderburns - being new I have bought the basic supplies from SIR/Wholesale Sports here in Winnipeg. Am shooting a .50 caliber Traditions Pursuit LT with 100 gr. of Pyrodex (2 pellets). Using Hornady .240 XTP MAG's. Haven't done a whole lot of shooting - just the sighting in process but looking forward to doing more next summer/fall.
Old 10-23-2005, 05:34 PM
Fork Horn

I bought my knight at Farmers Supply on nairn, now known as Wholesale Sports at that address. When I bought mine they were on sale at S.I.R. + Farmers matched the price. Wholesale has the cheapest price for pyrodex pellets, at least they did a month ago whenIpicked up a new box. I also use the 240's. I also use my muzzleloader during the rifle deer season. This fall I carried my MZloader a couple of times while moose hunting in the Duck's, but never saw a moose.
Old 10-23-2005, 06:05 PM

powderburns - good to know about Wholesale. I guess some guys who do a lot of ML shooting say it's worth driving to Grand Forks and picking up a bunch of stuff. My sons and I were up at Duck Mountain at Thanksgiving for fishing trip. Could only stay overnight as they both had to be back at work. We stayed at Childs Lake. Not much luck fishing (tried East Blue, Perch, Two Mile) but want to go back. Our first time there and we were impressed with the beauty of the park.Seemd to be a fair number of hunters around. Next time we'll try to arrange a longer stay as it is a good drive from Winnipeg.

Good luck when you do go out!!
Old 10-23-2005, 07:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

We hunt on private and public land.The first 3 days of the ML seasonwe will be huntingabout 40 minutes NE of the city on private land. We`ve seen lots of sign( beds,rubs,some scrapes, major trails, droppings) and we have 2 nice treestands to use. I use a CVA...50cal...100gr Pyro...285gr Buffalo Bullet, open sights.
Good luck on the opener guys.

Ron
Old 10-25-2005, 05:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: randyh

it's worth driving to Grand Forks and picking up a bunch of stuff.
Randy, it is well worth a trip to Cabela’s in East Grand Forks to pick up supplies. They have good prices and there prices are better then any prices here in town even with the exchange.
Old 10-25-2005, 07:06 PM
Fork Horn

Randyh--4 inches of snow on the ground at Childs Lake right now.

trailor--Why don't you buy a muzzleloader + be a real hunter? LOL.
Old 10-25-2005, 08:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: powderburns

Why don't you buy a muzzleloader + be a real hunter?
powderburns, If I want to be a real hunter, I would keep doing archery. Now that’s real hunting...
So did you go play in the snow yet
Old 10-25-2005, 09:39 PM

Hey fellow Manitoban's,

I tried a new spot in Agassiz Forest opening evening. I just realized last week that they turned my favorite hunting spot into a gravel pit![:'(]

RandyH: Are you hunting off #44 or #216? My Pursuit LT is shooting tight groups with 100 gr of Pyrodex pellets and 300g Hornady sabots.

Lets hope this weather gets colder soon.

Jonathan

Quick Reply: Manitoba Muzzleloader - Who's Going?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.