Community
Optics Quality optics are a must-have for any serious hunter. Discuss them here.

Head tilt for scope

Old 10-02-2024, 05:47 PM
Typical Buck

Question for you MD . Are you shooting with both eyes open or closing one eye ? When you shoulder the gun to your form standing , do you have to wiggle around to see the full scope to make the black ring on the lens go away , or do you instantly see the full lens and crosshair . By the way. Going with the 1x6 scope was the right choice
Old 10-02-2024, 05:58 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by SportsmanNH
Question for you MD . Are you shooting with both eyes open or closing one eye ? When you shoulder the gun to your form standing , do you have to wiggle around to see the full scope to make the black ring on the lens go away , or do you instantly see the full lens and crosshair . By the way. Going with the 1x6 scope was the right choice
I close the other eye. And I definitely have to wiggle a little to get the right alignment and see the crosshair. (I’m hoping to make this all happen a lot faster with practice.)

A lot of conflicting guidance and pictures out there. Some folks seem to anchor the butt of the rifle in the shoulder. Others seem to have it practically at their collarbone. I guess everyone’s built a little differently, and rifles vary too.

I realize this thread isn’t about optics per se, but since it has to do with positioning via the scope, I figured it might make sense to put it here.
Old 10-02-2024, 06:15 PM
Typical Buck

Do you have to lean your head forward to see the full lens or backward once you shoulder the rifle ? its the little things that count to fit your positioning of the scope.
Old 10-02-2024, 06:18 PM
Spike

Fortunately that bit feels just right to me. The stock length of the XPR Sporter fits me well, so I’m not leaning my head forward or backward—it’s pretty lateral.
Old 10-02-2024, 06:50 PM
Typical Buck

So your wiggle is focused on left and right and not forward and back to see the full lens with no black ring around the lense . Unfortunately it might be the scope itself that is finicky with no room for error. Vortex is a good scope for the money , but I prefer Leupold. I had the same issue as you with a Bushnell scope and a slight issue with an older Burris scope. not bad though with the Burris . But the Bushnell was horrible in getting the full view of the scope. If your scope position fits you well , then its a matter of practice practice and more shouldering practice until its second nature . With my Leupold 1x6 firedot its instant. the second my gun hits my shoulder I have full vision through the lens . No wiggling whatsoever .
Old 10-03-2024, 01:55 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by SportsmanNH
So your wiggle is focused on left and right and not forward and back to see the full lens with no black ring around the lense . Unfortunately it might be the scope itself that is finicky with no room for error. Vortex is a good scope for the money , but I prefer Leupold. I had the same issue as you with a Bushnell scope and a slight issue with an older Burris scope. not bad though with the Burris . But the Bushnell was horrible in getting the full view of the scope. If your scope position fits you well , then its a matter of practice practice and more shouldering practice until its second nature . With my Leupold 1x6 firedot its instant. the second my gun hits my shoulder I have full vision through the lens . No wiggling whatsoever .
Appreciate this. And I don’t mean to suggest that it takes more than a second or two to lock in, just that I had to angle my neck a bit to make it happen. I’m sure with repetition I’ll get a feel for it.
Old 10-03-2024, 02:55 AM
Super Moderator

Practice.

A few hundred repetitions and you'll be naturally finding the scope comfortably.

Do it safely. Unloaded. Verify it's unloaded.

Then, if you're able to, take it outside and just pick various marks. Then shoulder your rifle and get your crosshairs onto the mark.

Smooth repetitions. You can do this from your easy chair picking out marks on the wall even. But be safe.

- jake
Old 10-03-2024, 03:30 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Bocajnala
Practice.

A few hundred repetitions and you'll be naturally finding the scope comfortably.

Do it safely. Unloaded. Verify it's unloaded.

Then, if you're able to, take it outside and just pick various marks. Then shoulder your rifle and get your crosshairs onto the mark.

Smooth repetitions. You can do this from your easy chair picking out marks on the wall even. But be safe.

- jake
will do—thank you