Community
Optics Quality optics are a must-have for any serious hunter. Discuss them here.

Scope for < 50 yards?

Old Today, 07:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

do I go with the more standard 3-9x, figuring I’ll keep it at the low end for this but might be grateful for the added reach some day later?
This has worked fine for me. I keep my scope on 4x.

One tip: spend some time practicing shouldering your rifle, looking through the scope, and seeing the target. Many a deer has escaped because a hunter didn't know how to do this and found themselves waving the rifle around trying to find the deer in the field of view. Obviously do your practice keeping the gun in a safe direction and unloaded.
Old Today, 07:33 AM
Spike

Thank you for this guidance.

It’s a bit of a story, but the gist of it is that I won’t be hunting until next season: I’m planning to spend as much time as I can spare in the next year to get comfortable with my gear and practice good form and accurate shooting. I *could* try this season, but would rather develop strong discipline than risk missing or taking an unethical shot. The landowner has also offered to let me visit the stand once or twice to get a feel for it and maybe even fire a shot or two so I get a sense of what that’ll be like. I really got lucky to find this opportunity. Will probably sign up for some lessons at the local range, too, both for safety and shooting form. I grew up with guns (including rifles), but haven’t shot in decades, and I want to do this right—not just for myself but also as an example for my son, who’ll be paying attention, I’m sure.