Community
Optics Quality optics are a must-have for any serious hunter. Discuss them here.

Optics suggestions

Old 03-23-2011, 05:35 PM
Spike

Default Optics suggestions

I'm a new hunter and trying to get more gear. I plan on scouting this summer for deer and guess I need something to look into to see far away. Without breaking the bank (read: affordable quality), can someone make a suggestion? Thanks in advance!
Old 03-23-2011, 07:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

How much $$$ ??

Start here; Binoculars By Price

http://www.opticsplanet.net/binoculars.html
Old 03-24-2011, 01:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

8X42 vortex diamond backs. lifetime no questions asked warranty and crystal clear glass. do some reviews excellent product.
Old 03-24-2011, 05:53 PM
Spike

The Vortex 8x42 are an awesome piece of glass but I know where I hunt they are a little low powered for me. I would say the standard non-HD Vortex optics are on par with Leupold for at least 50% less. Where as the HD style Vortex Optics are of the Swaro/Zeiss level quality. Out west where I hunt I glass over terrain with views of sometimes 3-4 miles distant. I always keep my 10x42s on my chest for close (less than 1000yds) work. Then I keep a pair of 15x56s in my pack for tripod work from my ridge tops and my wife tripods her 20-60X80 scope for our long range glassing and identifying. That said on a budget I would go with Vortex vipers in a 15x50 for around 600, if you have serious distance glassing to do. Hunting the midwest woods a good pair of Vortex Diamondbacks in 10x42s would work i the 200 range as well as Leupold Acadia 10x42 in the 200 range as well. I would steer away from 8x42s. My first pair was a set of Leupol 8x42s and they did nothign for my glassing unless I was already in shooting range. At that point my 4.5-14-50mm riflescope could count points for me.
Old 03-24-2011, 08:06 PM
Spike

Great place to start! Thanks everyone.