Community
Optics Quality optics are a must-have for any serious hunter. Discuss them here.

8x vs. 10x Binoculars?

Old 03-19-2011, 06:08 AM
Fork Horn

Default 8x vs. 10x Binoculars?

I am looking at binoculars from the same company in 8x32 and 10x42. My question is: what power do you guys prefer for hunting deer, turkeys and general scouting (most hunting is in WV)?
Old 03-19-2011, 04:52 PM
Fork Horn

When i was going to buy my first set of bino's i borrowed my buddy's 10x42 lupy's, they were really nice but for me it was too much zoom during archery season, (in pa. we have antler restrictions) and it made hard to see the racks in heavy cover to count points so, i went with the 8x42's and really like them. I carry them for everything, groundhog hunting, evening scouting for deer and during rifle season. I like to take scope's or bino's outside to look through them, fluorescent lights make poorer optics look better than really they are.
Old 03-19-2011, 06:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

I use 12X; however I live out west........................

You need them out here; without a spotting scope anyway.
Old 03-20-2011, 07:12 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the replies, all were useful. I was initally looking at the Redfield binos in the 8 and 10 magnifications and possibly if I go with 8x the Leupold Green Ring Acadias. Any thoughts on the Redfields?

Jim
Old 03-20-2011, 12:48 PM
Typical Buck

i have a set of 10's, and im thinking about coming down to 8's or 7's....i hunt in the east in fairly thick mountainous terrain and the 10 is just too much magnification it seems
Old 03-20-2011, 04:23 PM
Typical Buck

I hunt in the West as well and used 10x s for years. Last year I went to the 8.5 els. Looking through same brand, side by side, I just didn't notice the extra magnification was a fair trade for narrower field of view. The spotting scope is for getting in for a closer look. I expect I'll be sticking to the 8.5s here out.

The quality of glass will make a difference. 8xs in a higher end glass will no doubt help you spot details over 10xs in a lower quality. What we are able to see is about a lot more than magnification.
Old 03-21-2011, 07:26 PM
Spike

8x binoculars tend to let in more light and you have a wider field of view because they don't zoom in as much. They tend to be a little clearer, but you don't see as far.

10x you can see further, but they tend to not let as much light in, however, that applies more to your smaller lens binoculars such as 10x25. A 10x50 still does pretty good with the light. Sometimes you can "Look Beyon the Mark" a little with these and possible miss some deer, however, I use 10x, because I like to zoom in as close as I can.

good luck!
Old 03-26-2011, 07:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'd think that you'd probably get by with the 8X in WV, since you're not going to be glassing at long distance much. Out west, where it's common practice to be looking at far off distances, 10X is the way to go for sure.
Old 03-26-2011, 11:30 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks guys, I went with the 8x, ordered them on Monday.

Jim
Old 03-31-2011, 01:38 PM
Fork Horn

My experience with the higher power glass 10X and above you would need a rest for them or you would notice the shakey movement more. I had a nice pair of 8X that I felt were perfect and if I needed more I had my compact spotting scope. Sadly my binos were in my truck along with a lot of other gear when it was stolen. Insurance hardly covered the value of the truck let alone any gear I had in it.