Community
Optics Quality optics are a must-have for any serious hunter. Discuss them here.

Zeiss ?'s

Old 10-30-2010, 04:42 PM
Fork Horn

Default Zeiss ?'s

My daughter is shooting my Browning 308 for this year's whitetail season so I needed a different rifle. I have a few choices and am taking them all to the pit tomorrow. Couple old 30-06's and a 300 Win Mag with a Leupold already mounted.

I just took another rifle out of the safe I bought from a fellow from here. Its a Browning semi auto 300 WSM. I bought it a couple years ago and never tried it. It has a Zeiss Conquest 3x9. The scope came unmounted. I have it remounted and ready to go.

Question 1) Under the caps the adjustments appear identical on top as well as on the side. They have the normal 1/4"=1 click deal. The problem is both the top and side adjustments have a clockwise arrow with a U/R. No "up" or "right". Again....both are the same. Which one is up/down and which is right/left? The scope is mounted with the word "Zeiss" upright on the left or port side of the scope. The adjustments are on the top and right or starboard side of the scope.

I checked a couple other scopes including a Leupold on my Volquartsen and it is up/down on top, right/left on the side. Following that logic can I assume it follows that the Zeiss is the same? However the up and right is counterclockwise on the Leupold as well as a higher end Tasco and a Red Dot I checked. Is the Zeiss just backwards of these others?

Question 2) It is mounted on a 300 WSM. Is the 1/4" at 100 yards an accurate rule of thumb?

At $2 a shot I would like to keep the sighting in efforts/expense to a minimum.

Thanks, Bill
Old 10-31-2010, 05:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

The elevation is adjusted by turning the turret on the top of the scope and the windage is adjusted by the turret on the right side. 1/4" is what each "click" should move the impact of the bullet at 100 yards. I found the adjustments on my Conquest to be accurate.