Community
Optics Quality optics are a must-have for any serious hunter. Discuss them here.

Found a deal on a scope, tell me if it is any good.

Old 08-14-2008, 06:08 PM

Default RE: Found a deal on a scope, tell me if it is any good.

ORIGINAL: unitedsquirrel

Well the thing is is that i am not a hunter... or at least not at the moment. I am mainly just shooting targets but i will move into some hunting eventually. So until then i am not wanting to spend a lot of money on a scope. I have been looking through the Nikon scopes and the Buckmasters are in my price range, but i have also come across the Prostaff Nikon. What is the difference between the two?

The difference between the Nikon Monarch, Buckmasters, and Prostaff is % light transmittance and # of focal lenses and lens coatings....

The Monarch is the best, and it has more high quality lenses and better coatings, which equal better light transmittance..... approx. 95% of the light taken in the objective lens ( farthest from the eye )will make it thruogh the occular lens ( closest to the eye ) which means better low light visability. I own 3 of these.

The buckmasters is next at about 92% light transmittance. It is not as good as the Monarch, but it is a very good scope none-the-less. It has quality lenses and good lens coatings... better than most other scopes in its price range. I own7 of these.

The prostaff is last at about 89 % light transmittance. For the cost of this line of scopes, the quality is very good. It will not perform as good as the Buckmasters or Monarch in low light situations, but it is very acceptable in performance. The quality in the prostaff line is better than any tasco, Bushnell ( except the 3200 and 4200 lines ) , lower end Burris scopes, and all off brand name scopes. If I were looking for an entry point into scopes, and I did not want to spend enough to get into a buckmaster scope, I would definitely start with the Prostaff line.

Nikon makes quality products throughout their product lines, and if you do have a problem with your purchase, their service dept. is very good and typical turnaround time is about 2 weeks. In 16+ years, I haveonly had to use their service dept. 1 time, out of about 10 Nikon scopes. I have had 2 Nikons in use forthe previously mentioned 16 + years that have never given me a bit of trouble, and the have held their point of aim since I first sighted them in. I check them every year, but I have never had to adjust them.

One other brand that I have heard good things about, but they have not been out long enough to have a lot of information available about them , is the Vortex line. They are supposed to be pretty good quality for the cost... You may find something in their line that would suit your wants / needs , in your desired price range. But I still would consider Nikon also..... They have been around a long time and are proven....

If you need any more info ( completly truthful and unbiased ) feel free to contact me. I have been studying scopes ( most all brands ) for years, and I'll be glad to help.

God Bless

MET