Community
Optics Quality optics are a must-have for any serious hunter. Discuss them here.

30mm vs. 1 inch Tube??

Old 08-09-2008, 09:54 AM

Default RE: 30mm vs. 1 inch Tube??

I was under the impression that a larger diameter tube of the same thickness was stronger/stiffer than that of a smaller diameter tube.

Paul
Old 08-09-2008, 10:16 AM

Ok, did some quick research. A tube with a larger diameter but the same wall thickness has a lower burst pressure. So if you were going to fill it with high pressure air or liquid a smaller diameter tube would be stronger. However a larger diameter tube would be stiffer for the same length, as in it would be harder to bend. This evident when looking at spine charts for arrows. With arrows of the same wall thickness the arrow with the larger diameter has the stiffer spine reaction.

I think either would probably dent just as easily especially with the sizes we are talking about. In order to make it more resistant to denting it would either have to be a stronger alloy or have a thicker wall.

Something to keep in mind though is normally when tubing diameter increases so does the wall thickness. So without knowing the exact specs of the tubing used for the scope it would be hard to say which would be stronger or not.

You would also have to deal with getting 30mm rings, which might be harder to find and more expensive to buy.

And I prefer AO adjustable scopes over side focus. With the side focus they are only accurate in one direction, so if you over shoot your focus point you have to turn it all the way back again. I don't believe this is true with the objective focus rings.

Paul
Old 08-09-2008, 01:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

The scope in question has a 30mm tube but 1" lenses in it. They do this so you have more elevation ..windage adjustments at long range. You want a "real" 30mm scope then buy a S&B,Zeiss,Swaro,Kahles,Meopta,IOR and probably a few I forgotor even the highend Leupold VX-7. 30mm tubes are theoretically stronger but it would depend on the alloy used , manufacturing method to see a consistent difference.
Old 08-10-2008, 08:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Or, forget the AO stuff all together. I can't imagine why a max of 9-10X wouldn't be enough in MOST situations.