Community
Optics Quality optics are a must-have for any serious hunter. Discuss them here.

Zeiss Scope Zeroing Question

Old 08-23-2007, 07:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Zeiss Scope Zeroing Question

I have a question about how to zero a new scope ...Im sure you might find it a dumb question but I am trying not to shoot a full box of shells just to get it zeroed ...I purchased a new Zeiss Conquest MCfor mt TC Pro Hunter in a 30.06 ...I shot it for the first time yesterday to get it zeroed in ..my target was at 50 yards so I could first get the windage set right ..my first shot at the 10 ring wasthree inches high and three inches to the right ...I read the directions (which you would think would be obvious) and turned the windage dial counter clockwise 8 clicksso to move the zero to the left ...fired again ..it appears it did not move at all ...moved it another 8 clicks fired again still no movement .... I went back to the directions a reread ...accoding to Zeiss there is a pull up click stop mechanism which I am not familer with ...do I need to pull this up BEFORE I turn the windage dial so it will function ...according to the directions I pull it up AFTER sighting in ....at any rate I am a little bumfuzzeled and wonder if anyone can explain in laymens terms how to move the cross hairs ....

dd

Old 08-23-2007, 07:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Zeiss Scope Zeroing Question

Another

Old 08-23-2007, 10:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Since this scope (and most all others)is designed so that 1 click moves the reticle 1/4" relative to a target at 100 yards, at 50 yards it takes twice as many clicks to make the same adjustment. So if you want to move the bullet impact by 3" at 50 yards this requires you to turn the dial 24 clicks. However, since you mentioned that you already moved it a total of 16 clicks, you'd expect the bullet impact to move by 2" at 50 yards, which didn't happen. Sounds likesomething might be wrong with this scope. Or maybe since it's new it just needs some shooting in to get the erector tube loosed up a bit so that it adjusts properly.

I'm trying to think what I might do if I were you. I'd probably turn both dials several clicks, about 30 or more clicks each, and see what effect this has. If this has no effect whatsoever, you've probably got a defective scope.

And no, you don't pull up on the dial to make the adjustments. The purpose of that is so you can reindex the marks on the dial to aknown point after you've established your zero.

Good luck, I hope you get it worked out.
Old 08-23-2007, 07:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

For 1/4 at 100 yard scopes:
25 yards 16 clicks = 1" (or x4)
50 yards 8 clicks = 1" (or x2)
100 yards 4 clicks = 1"
200 yards 2 clicks = 1" (or x.5)

Like Solitary Man mentioned you need approx. 24 clicks to move the poi 3" at 50 yards. As too why you never saw any gain human error is typically the cause for such an event - either mis count, inverted turns, shooting, etc. It is possible that your scope is experience problems though, I would try moving it the remaining amount and shoot a group to see if their is any gain. If moving it another 8-10 clicks doesn't show any POI movements return it to the store or zeiss.

Good Luck
Old 08-23-2007, 08:34 PM
bigcountry

Sometimes with scope, it takes a bump or a shot to get the thing to move. Especially with spring loaded recticles like these. Sometimes you see people, especially bench resters, tap the covers to the scope adjustment after moving.

I would first shoot a group of 3. I know you don't want to shoot the ammo, but I sure don't move my scope based off one shot. Two, since you are on the paper at 50yards, take a shot at 100, and work off that. Shoot a group of 3 shots, and move, and let cool at least 10 min and then do it again.

Old 08-24-2007, 06:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

Well I think I have gotten it corrected ..this is at 100 yards ...first shot was a bit right but after adjustment its closer .... still some work to do but I think Im on track now ...thanks guys..

dd

Old 08-24-2007, 09:29 AM
bigcountry

Called a few times but the wife said you were at work.