Community
Optics Quality optics are a must-have for any serious hunter. Discuss them here.

BURRIS FULLFIELD ll's 42MM OR 50MM

Old 08-12-2007, 03:27 PM
Fork Horn

Default BURRIS FULLFIELD ll's 42MM OR 50MM

I already know there is a few of you out there that are familiar with this scope,what I would like to know is what mm.would work best on12ga. or muzzle loader 42 0r 50mm and what the difference is in some of the 42's I went to a shooters supply and one of the 42's was $345.00 with a spotting scope and one was around $400.00 by it self both fullfield 42's is there a difference in the glass or what,I was also told I should get the ballistic plex for different yardage some experiance in this are would sure be helpful.
Old 08-12-2007, 05:35 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: BURRIS FULLFIELD ll's 42MM OR 50MM

come on guys give me some input.
Old 08-12-2007, 07:09 PM
Boone & Crockett

I had rather have a heavier reticle than the ballistic plex. Late in the afternoon it will be hard to see those little lines. The Nikon Omega is set up for muzzleloaders and has good eye relief (and its a great scope + cheaper price).
Old 08-12-2007, 07:21 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: timbercruiser

I had rather have a heavier reticle than the ballistic plex. Late in the afternoon it will be hard to see those little lines. The Nikon Omega is set up for muzzleloaders and has good eye relief (and its a great scope + cheaper price).
The ballistic plex works perfect in dawn or dusk. They are a lot larger then the Leupolds big game or varmint reticals as far as I'm concern. I can see them perfect. Now about shotgun and muzzleloader scope I would go with a 20mm or 32mm objective lense. Because the shot distance is within 150yds.
Old 08-12-2007, 07:52 PM
Fork Horn

would'nt you draw more light with the bigger objective the 50mm would gather more light,the first 10 minutes and the last ten minutes of light I think you would be able to see out of the 50mm where I have actually proved to someone else that you would not even be able to see out of the 40mm to make out the object both scopes were identical,I was actually wanting to know if anyone had any mounting issues with the 42mm vs. 50mm actually has anyone compared the fullfield ll in the 42's and 50's to see if how the light garhering is on them first and last ten minutes of light
Old 08-12-2007, 07:58 PM

Sounds like you've already decided what you want.

Old 08-12-2007, 08:11 PM
Fork Horn

I know the 50's gather more light than the 42's but there could be some mounting issue's if I want a 50 on my muzzle loader,I would rather have a 50mm on the muzzle loader or the 12ga. but if the 50 will not work corectlly I don't want to purchase a 50mm. its shot gun only or muzzle loader where I'm at,and I don't own a rifle to put a 50mm on and I don't want to purchase something I can't use
Old 08-12-2007, 08:21 PM
Fork Horn

Power has alot to do with light gathering too. the more power the less light gathering.That is why I bought the Burris Euro-Diamond 2.5x10x44. Of course this is a 30mm main tube instead of a 1" main tube which also gives more light. But this is mounted on a Remington 700xcr in 270wsm where I will be shooting farther then a shotgun or muzzleloader. so i could crank it down to 2.5 power.Where mostwould put a 4x16 on the 270wsm. I have shot elk with a 1.5x5 with 20mm objective on a 338win. at dawn and dusk.I just crank the power down to 2x.
Old 08-12-2007, 08:30 PM
Fork Horn

I'll have to remember that,I already knew that with binoculars,that 8's are brighter than tens all this information is very helpfull,even with things you already know sometimes you just need to be reminded.
Old 08-16-2007, 02:32 AM

Obviously glass quality and coatings also have a lot to do with clarity. I personally don't care for scope objectives much bigger than 42mm due to how high you have to mount them on the rifle. Look at most of your ballistic information concerning trajectories and they assume a scope centerline of 1.5" above the barrel. A 50mm scope sits up higher than this. Hence the reason Leupold now has some larger objective scopes especially designed to sit lower to the barrel. The other problem I have seen with the bigger objective scopes is when you have plenty of light out, say midday etc. This shows up more in varmint scopes, but could apply here. Unless you are going to only use this scope at dawn and dusk, they tend to let in an excessive amount of light during bright days. Can be a little bit blinding. Everything in life is about tradeoffs, and compromise.

Quick Reply: BURRIS FULLFIELD ll's 42MM OR 50MM

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.