Community
Optics Quality optics are a must-have for any serious hunter. Discuss them here.

Simmons Scopes

Old 08-02-2007, 09:47 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Simmons Scopes

Mine came with a package deal. I guess part of their business is to sell scopes to rifle manufacturers. I would be surprised if they sold those for more than $50.
Old 08-02-2007, 09:47 AM

I did not have good luck with the simmons scope that I bought and it will not keep the same POI. There are less-expensive (such as Nikon prostaff andBurris Fullfield II) and mid-price scopes (like the 4200 Elite andLeupold) that will perform very well and worth extra $.
Old 08-02-2007, 10:09 AM
Typical Buck

Simmons scopes are junk. I had one that came on a New England Arms youth gun. It lost its zero after about 40 shots from the light recoil of a .243. If you are buying a package deal and it shoots fine, great. If you are planning to purchase the Simmons scope to put on your rifle, don't waste your money. When it comes to optics, you get what you pay for even more so than with guns.
Old 08-03-2007, 11:53 AM

I know this is of no help but here goes. I've owned a few Simmons csopes in the past. An Aetec, 44Mag and Whitetail Classic. All were fine and gave me no problems. Last year I bought an 8 Point to stick on a 336. While sighting it in the recticle started to turn. That could have happened while hunting. Thank goodness it only cost me a box and a half of ammo, not the buck of a lifetime. I sent it back and months after I forgot about it the new one came. Any scope maker can put out a bad one once in a while but I hear aboutSimmons all too often.

I wish I had the money to put a thousand dollar scope on my rifles, course I wish I were married to Shakira but thats not gonna happen either. Would I buy another Simmons scope, NO WAY!! I put a 50mm Gameseeker on my new '06 and am very happy with it. I'd rather go with a modest priced model from someone like Pentax of Nikon than take the chance again.
Old 08-10-2007, 10:31 PM
Typical Buck

I have7 Simmons scopes. 2 shotgun &1 muzzleloader all with extra eye relief, 2high power A.O. variables for CO2 target rifles, the cheapest 3/4 inch airgun/rimfire model, andan old4X Deerfield. They all workjust fine except the very 1st Deerfield which has a bustedinternal spring, and it wasacheap$20ish dollar scope with a darker F.O.V. that was mounted on a Ruger 10/22. The Deerfield was the oldest and the worst,but I'm glad that I didn't stop buyingSimmons because of it. When shooting a deer in thick woods at 40 yards, how much of a performance difference does one expect there to be?
Iown other brands of scopes too. But depending on how many guns a person owns, the dedicated purpose that each gun is intended to be used for,and figuring intheoverall price of the entirepackage,I try tochoose my scopes accordingly. I don't expect to pay $200 or $300 to scope each gun, because that's how much some of the guns cost, and I don't intend toshoot 300 yards either.
So they work & they have a warranty, and I've seen worse scopes on the market. Each Simmons scope model isdifferentas far as when and whereeach wasmade, and in the features that each has to offer. Some scopes just happen to fitsome guns better than others, whether they happen to cost more or not.
Mine have done their job, except for that 1 Deerfield out of 7which represents a 14.28% failure rate. Conversely, that represents an over 85% satisfaction rate.
Old 08-12-2007, 04:37 PM
Super Moderator

I've had a Simmons Aetec scope on a 338WM BAR for many years and it's always worked just fine. I haven't used any of the other Simmons scopes so can't comment on them but these are good scopes in the lower priced scope range. The question was asked about Simmons scopes but didn't ask about for what type of hunts. If you're plinking or hunting locally, a Simmons would be fine. If you're going on a once in a lifetime hunt, I'd strongly recommend upgrading to a Nikon or other mid-price/quality scope. Spending a few hundred extra $$ for a hunt likely costing a few thousand $$ or more is cheap insurance.
Old 08-20-2007, 09:14 PM

I have had a Simmons Aetec 44 mag scope on my 300 win mag for years and works great.
Old 08-21-2007, 10:13 AM
Fork Horn

I have had a Simmons Whitetail classic on my old Ruger 30-06 for over 13 years, I have put hundreds of factory rounds as well as hot handloads through it. It has handled temperature and altitude changes from Minnesota cold to Texas heat to Colorado high-altitude. It has been wet for days on end, it has had ice and snow built up on it. NOT ONE PROBLEM. I recently purchased another Whitetail classic, 6.5 X 20 X 50mm. If it holds up as well as the other I will be happy.
I have heard enough negative about Simmons that I always check it out before I hunt and while I am in the field I am a little concerned with its reliability, But I think I would do this with any scope.
I do know one thing for sure, I will not purchase any more Simmons binoculars............