Community
Optics Quality optics are a must-have for any serious hunter. Discuss them here.

Rangefinders

Old 07-17-2007, 08:58 AM

Default Rangefinders

First off I'm not sure whether this should be in this forum or not but it's similar so I'll ask.

Iam going to get a new rangefinder this season. I would like to get a top end one.

I am looking for one that has very good low light capability as well as some other key features. Like does it actually range what you are trying to range or does it spray out and catch the limb that is close to where you are aiming. Some of you guys might know what I'm talking about when it comes to some rangefinders.

Is it an instant range or does it take a second to come up w/ the number.

I am looking at some rangefinders like the leica crf 900, nikon 800, and leupold rx II.

I did already check out the swarovski and I don't like it due to being bulky and no instant trigger range ability. Probably the best glass for rangefinders but not for me.

If you guys have any other suggestions for what iam looking for or reviews I would appreciate it.
Old 07-17-2007, 09:20 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Rangefinders

I have both the Swarovski and Leica RF's. You are correct with the Swaro's slow reaction on ranging compared to the Leica. It's a trade off actually, the Leica's dont have the optical clarity/light gathering and the Swarovski's are slower in trigger speed. It's going to depend on what you value more. Both are very very good RF's.
Old 07-17-2007, 10:10 AM

Yeah but if i had to choose it would be the leica's because of them being so small and easy to carry.

Do you have the new crf's or the old version. If you do have the new ones how is the light gathering ability of them? Are they decent at low light?
Old 07-17-2007, 10:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have the Leica 900 and find it works very well except for one thing. Although it’s nice and compact, I find it’s hard to hold on target when ranging at long distance. My hand are fairly steady so I don’t have the shakes but it does take a couple tries before I can get a reading at long distance. I would think the Swarovski might be better for a steady hold , so this might be something Double A could advise us on...
Old 07-17-2007, 10:38 AM

As a guy who works in the optics industry, I have to agree with most everything that's been said. However, as far as the shakes go, you can overcome that with the Leica by using the scan mode. Older models(pre 2002)didn't have that feature. The Swarovski gathers more light simply because of the larger objective lens, and is also more expensive. I think you'll get much more bang for your buck with the Leica CRF. You just can't beat that total package.
Old 07-17-2007, 10:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Another little piece of information , might be important or not , but the Swarovski is waterproof up to 13’ underwater were as the Leica is water resistance. This is if my memory if it’s still up to par...
Old 07-17-2007, 10:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: MTGriz

However, as far as the shakes go, you can overcome that with the Leica by using the scan mode.
My model does have the scan mode, but it's when holding steady I find a slight problem. Just an observation on my part...
Old 07-17-2007, 10:59 AM

Ok so how would the leica compare to ...say the nikon 800. I'm an IA bowhunter so long distance isn't something that is a must.

Is the nikon fast triggered, scan mode, target accuracy, and good in low light conditions.

Now i know the leica's and nikon's can sometimes be in totally different categories but for rangefinders I have no clue if they are comparable.

I just know they are cheaper priced and seem to have similar features.
Old 07-17-2007, 11:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: TallTines6

Ok so how would the leica compare to ...say the nikon 800. I'm an IA bowhunter so long distance isn't something that is a must.
If you're directing your question at me, all I can say is that I have no experience with Nikon so I can’t comment on them. After purchasing my Leica I have never looked at other brand names. I have no regrets with my Leica except for a slight problem as I mentioned. The Leica is excellent in low light conditions when I use it for hunting under heavy cover. Good luck in you purchase...
Old 07-17-2007, 01:02 PM

Leica rangefinders are excellent, but at the same time there expensive as hell. Nikon i personally is a good alternative to an expensive brand, they good quality and they get what needs to be done. If range isnt a worry and you aren't trying to go past 1000 yds then Nikon has all the same features. When you think of key things in rangefinders you want them to be lightweight and have many great features. I think Nikon covers all bases with a cheaper pick up.

NIKON Monarch Laser800 Rangefinder

Quick Reply: Rangefinders

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.